Women’s basketball split at home

By Grace Pohl, Staff Writer

The Eastern women’s basketball team had a win and a loss at home this past week, dropping to Sacramento State, 94-91, on a buzzer-beater winning shot by Sacramento, and beating Portland State University, 70-57. Eastern is now 18-9 overall and 12-3 in league play.

Redshirt senior guard, Hayley Hodgins, became Eastern’s all-time leading scorer against Portland, breaking the previous record of 1,733 points by Brenda Souther (1983-87) that held for 29 years. She is now ranked 9th on the all-time Big Sky scoring leader board, only two points away from WSU’s Julie Gjertsen (2001-05).

EWU trailed by as much as 13 points in the second quarter, entering the half down, 54-49. The Eagles came out into the second half just as slow, unable to score for the first four minutes until Hayley Hodgins had an and-one layup. She helped cut the 10-point lead CSUS had to only five points.

With only about four minutes left in the game, redshirt sophomore guard Bethany Montgomery nailed a three, bringing the scoring difference to only one point. The Eagles finally took a 4-point lead toward the end of the game. However, the game still had a ways to go.

The game was tied with less than 30 seconds left, when CSUS used their final possession to score a devastating three from the NBA range to make the buzzer-beater winning shot.

Hayley Hodgins led the team in scoring with 27 points, and had seven rebounds and three steals. Junior forward Ashli Payne had a double-double, scoring 13 points and 12 rebounds. Sophomore forward Delaney Hodgins scored 12 points while junior guard Tisha Phillips scored 11.

EWU shot 46.8 percent from the field while CSUS scored 40.7. EWU had a 23-turnover game with CSUS turning it over 18 times.

“Sacramento State is a physical team,” said head coach Wendy Schuller. “That’s what they do, and you know that coming in. They are good at what they do, and they make you play faster than you’re used to and a lot more physical than you’re used to. It’s not easy to replicate in practice, but I thought our team did a lot of things, especially in the fourth quarter, to put us in a position to win. I’m sad for them because I thought we played hard and did everything but defend them the way we needed to in the last 30 seconds.”

After their loss against CSUS, the Eagles came back to have a dominant win over Portland State. EWU had a 16-2 run in the third quarter that lasted for almost five minutes. The offense scored five 3-pointers in the third quarter alone, going into the fourth quarter with a lead of 54-44.

In the last quarter of play, the Eagles went on a 10-2 run, with the help of Delaney Hodgins scoring 9 of her 14 points in the fourth quarter alone. EWU was able to shoot 41.2 percent from the field in the second half.

Hayley Hodgins led the team in scoring with 24 points, also racking up six rebounds and assists. Payne had her second double-double in a row, and scored 11 points and rebounds for the game. Freshman guard Violet Kapri Morrow scored 10 points off of the bench while also grabbing five rebounds.

The Eagles play their last home game of the season against Idaho on Feb. 27.