Outside vendors evicted from PUB

By Sam Deal, Opinion Editor

New retail locations has always been a known component of the PUB remodel, but the removal of current vendors is a new aspect of the two-year project beginning in June.

Thomas Hammer and Aladin’s Egyptian Food will cease operations on May 31, EWU stated in a press release on Jan. 26. “In preparation for clearing out the PUB this summer, the university has notified outside food and service vendors that their spaces will not be available after May 31 in order to begin the renovation,’’

Fixtures of the PUB for over 20 years, both vendors have been left with no guarantee of returning to EWU after their ousting in May. The university statement continued, “This [removal] is consistent with the provisions of the agreements the university has with them. We are engaged in continuing conversations with these vendors to assess their needs as this transition develops.”

The agreements the university has with each location were confirmed by EWU Director of Records Management, Roxanne Dempsey. “The University does not have any negotiated contracts between Aladin’s Egyptian Food and/or with Thomas Hammer Coffee,” she said. “These two vendors made arrangements as daily rentals many years ago, and there are not written leases. The vendors pay a daily rate to the Pence Union Building,” said Dempsey via email.

EWU PUB remodel Predesign, finalized 2014, states “Thomas Hammer/Aladdin: These are both venues run by outside vendors and will be addressed during the design of the renovated facility.”

Repeated attempts from Aladin’s owner, Alaa Eldin Aarmer, and The Easterner to contact EWU of Business and Finance, specifically Mary Voves who currently oversees Auxiliary and Business Services at EWU, went unanswered.

On Jan. 15, while both vendors were closed, the university delivered letters signed Jan. 13 notifying them of their evictions. The letters were not received by either location until the following Jan. 18.

“It was awkward, because I [didn’t] know who to talk to. I knew the letter was real but I didn’t know what to do next,” Thomas Hammer manager Allison Grimes said.

Janet Williams, vice president of Thomas Hammer, scheduled a meeting with the university on Feb. 23 to discuss entering a request for proposal (RFP) in order to maintain a presence at EWU. The meeting was recently postponed until March 22.

“No decisions have been made on the two or three vendor locations in the new PUB,” EWU Assistant Director of Dining Paul Kile said.

Williams was also told that no RFPs would be made until the actual construction documentation phase is complete. Kile confirmed this as well.

However, in “Updates on the PUB remodel” by Erin Rebar for The Easterner, Director of Dining Dave McKay stated that a “National Asian food concept on the first floor of the PUB” would replace Swoops. But McKay could not disclose the specific vendor at that time.

“There are options for several other “retail locations.” What services will end up in these locations from banking to coffee has not been determined as far as I know,” McKay said via email earlier this week.

“I’ve asked, believe me, ‘Can you please just tell me what is going to be [put in] here,’” Senior Project Manager Troy Bester said. Bester is preparing to submit the design for bid in preparation for the two-year renovation.

A petition to keep each location was started by EWU student Angela Davis on Feb. 22. It is currently posted at Aladin’s food cart.

“We have a really good product and people out here know it,” Grimes said. “i just love it here, I love our little stand.”