EWU Young Professionals to hold speed networking event

By Kalli Wolf, Staff Writer

EWU Young Professionals Network will host a Speed Networking event sponsored by Numerica Credit Union on Feb. 11 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Impulse Lounge at Northern Quest Resort and Casino.

The event will begin with mingling, drinks and appetizers and officially kick off at 5:45 p.m. with welcoming announcements followed by a featured presentation. The speed networking will begin at approximately 6:15 p.m. after the presentation. Finally, at 7:00 p.m. there will be a prize drawing and open networking. EWU alumna and former Miss Washington State Fianna Dickson will also attend and present her best tips for making a great impression.

“We’re really excited to host an evening of one-on-one structured networking,” said Associate Director of Alumni Relations Cassie Devaney. “This is the perfect opportunity for students and professionals at all levels to practice their networking skills, learn how to get acquainted with new people and broaden their network.”

Current students and graduates of the last 15 years are encouraged to get involved with the EWU Young Professionals Network. “If you attend EWU, you are automatically a member and we would be delighted for you to attend one of our events,” Devaney said.

According to Devaney, the Young Professionals Network events provide attendees with a safe and fun environment to start practicing their skills and building their network of Eagle alumni.

“This network will be a very valuable asset to you when you start looking for your first professional job,” Devaney said.

The EWU Young Professionals Network currently hosts five events per school year, which are organized and hosted by the EWU Alumni Association and a board of young alumni volunteers. The speed networking event on Feb. 11 is 21 and over; however, “All other Young Professionals Network events this year are open to all ages,” Devaney said.

The attendees typically consist of students and young alumni. Devaney said she also sees students and alumni from other local universities who do not have access to such events at their own school. “If you’re coming to a Young Professionals Network event, you can feel free to bring a friend or family member that isn’t an Eagle. We welcome everyone,” Devaney said.

Students can pre-register for the event at alumni.ewu.edu/Network2016. Registration is $10 and includes a nacho bar, one beverage ticket and free parking.