Zola an unusual live music experience

By Ivy Nall, Eagle Life Editor

To start this series off, Zola was first on the list. With this unique and extensive atmosphere, it is not one to be missed.

The building layout may give the impression that it is small from the outside but it can be deceiving. When first walking in, the bar is immediately to the left with two secluded rooms to the right. These rooms can comfortably hold 10 guests in one and 18 in the other. Along with the two rooms downstairs, there is a dance floor and stage always set up.

There are two separate stairs that lead to two upstairs sections. These sections are for regular seating, as well as reserved parties. One section can fit 15 people comfortably and is known as the “poker room” and the other is made up of carnival tilt-a-whirl seats from a local junk yard, which can hold 25 guests. Capacity is right around 140 to 150 including mostly standing room, and Zola is known to reach capacity every weekend night.

“We are very fortunate to have a very diverse and eclectic music scene here in Spokane, which makes it fairly easy to book bands for our venue,” Jeff Short, general manager and co-owner of Zola, said.

Zola offers live music seven nights a week starting at 8:30 p.m. All Zola bands strictly play covers of popular songs from all genres; however, bands during week nights tend to be slightly quieter than weekend bands. Bands will play everything from top 40 to 80s rock ‘n’ roll to mellow rhythm and blues. House bands play during the week and managment hires special bands for Friday and Saturday nights.

“We have some fantastic nationwide acts coming through early this spring,” said Short. “And we are very excited about the opportunity to showcase some new performers and have the opportunity to gain new guests in the future.”

The rest of January, on Thursday nights, Zola will have special guest Island Soul, a traditional reggae band with a female lead vocalist.

Zola offers not only live music and entertainment but award-winning food and excellent service, according to Short. The management’s mission is to exceed the guest’s expectations and provide them with a memorable experience. “We continue to be blessed with an excellent staff and would not function without them,” Short said.

Senior Amy McLean has served for Zola since July 2015. “My favorite part about working at Zola is the demographic. Rarely do we have issues of violence or disrespect like some bars,” she said. “And the constant concerts are always a plus.”

Age groups vary, according to McLean. Business professionals, college students and a more mature crowd in their 60s can all be seen in the same night.

Zola’s unique atmosphere is diverse and inviting to regulars and newcomers alike. With the wide range of music performances, anyone is destined to find a good night if they stop in.