Focus on lotto distracts from political issues

By Sam Deal, Opinion Editor

Powerball hysteria is yet another distraction engulfing the American conversation.

“US Powerball lottery insanity: a billion dollars, country goes crazy, nobody wins.”

That headline, published Jan. 11 on Russian Today, is just one of the many views the outside world has on the recent Powerball craze. Obviously, a headline from RT needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but there is still some insight into what is happening with the multi-state lottery system that is seeing its largest jackpot ever.

Americans have been lining up in droves, hoping to claim the lucky ticket, which has been compounding since Nov. 4. The pictures of eager citizens flooding local convenient stores have dominated news broadcasts as well as social media.

The billion dollar bonanza has become unavoidable for many Americans with the question, “What would you buy?” dominating water coolers nationwide. Not to mention consumers have a 1 in some 290 million chance of collecting the winnings.

After the $900 million jackpot rolled over with no victors the night of Jan. 9, the sweepstakes climbed to unimaginable heights.

The dreams of being filthy rich have surely crept into the minds of the majority, who hope that $2 on a Tuesday will turn into $1.4 billion by Thursday. Yeah, I would love a get-out-of-jail-free card to squeeze out from under the almost insurmountable student loan debt I’ve accrued, so I can completely understand the logic.

But the timing of this all seems a little peculiar. We are opening a primary election year where media portrayals of candidates are seemingly always negative, with good reason. The everlasting turmoil in Afghanistan recently claimed the life of an American Special Forces operative — more evidence that the American military is still very active in ground combat missions in the country. In Maryland, a police officer was just sentenced to five years in prison for sticking his gun into the mouth of another man.

The system is not rigged; this is not some elaborate ploy by the powers that be to keep citizens ignorant to the world. But it is interesting that with all the relevant news coming from the United States the top story is the Lotto. Maybe we need to begin concerning ourselves with things besides gambling on odds no sane person can realistically expect to overcome.

That being said, I’m ready to get in line and claim that debt-free getaway, prolonging the general sense of apathy towards issues not directly related to myself.