WHAT’S THE DEAL?!

Bragging about binge drinking

By Sam Deal, Opinion Editor

What’s the deal with people who brag about binge drinking?

Finishing an entire bottle of liquor is not some historic accomplishment, bro.

In the far too many years I’ve spent on a college campus, I have overheard countless stories of people bragging about their ungodly ability to guzzle mass amounts of alcohol. I always wonder: How is proclaiming the ability to take several years off your life a thing?

And that is just looking at the long term implications. I’m amazed at how many times I hear those conversations end with “and I drove home.”

Really?

So, if being conceited about the ability to drink a lot is acceptable, then being proud of driving drunk must be as well. You can’t just endanger yourself; you feel the need to put others in harm’s way and then show no shame or remorse for your actions?

I understand wanting to express how much fun you had the night before, but know that every person around you doesn’t care about the statistics. In all likelihood the person you’re telling is annoyed as well.

As shocking as it is, we are not proud that you got so drunk that you don’t remember a thing and are in so much pain the next day.

I’m not saying drinking and having a good time is bad; that would be incredibly hypocritical. I can even understand that there are times where that gets taken overboard, but that is not a reason to be proud. It’s shameful and usually includes terrible decision-making.

Get over yourself.

If for some reason that is totally beyond me, you do feel the need to not only consume that much alcohol but also brag about it, please do it out of earshot. Trust me, no one else really cares to hear about it and most of us are actively rooting for you to continue failing at life.