Fraternity hosts Hot Dogs for Heroes charity event

By Lelia Thatcher, Staff Writer

The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity hosted a “Hot Dogs for Heroes” philanthropy event Nov. 10 in honor of Veterans Day. Hot dogs were sold to the public for $2 and were free for veterans and active-duty military personnel.

This was the first philanthropy event of the year for Sigma Phi Epsilon. Social and philanthropy chair of Sigma Phi Epsilon senior Chaz Martinez said the turnout was much better than the chapter predicted; veterans, active duty, students and general public showed up and supported the cause.

Martinez came up with the initial idea for the event. It was originally going to be called “Hot Dogs for Warriors” and hot dogs would only be given out for free to veterans and active-duty military and not sold at all. Another fraternity member came up with the name “Hot Dogs for Heroes” and they decided that in addition to giving out free hot dogs to veterans and active-duty, they would sell hotdogs to everyone else to raise money for the Red Cross.

Donations were accepted in addition to the money gathered from hot dog sales and all proceeds were given to the Service to the Armed Forces program of the Red Cross Greater Inland Northwest Chapter. The program supports U.S. military personnel, both veterans and active-duty, in the Spokane area.

“The services we are able to provide to our local military community, from outreach activities at the Spokane Veterans Home to welcome bags for new Airmen on Fairchild, exist because of local donations,” said Megan Snow, executive director of the Red Cross Greater Inland Northwest Chapter. “We appreciate the efforts of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity in helping us serve those who serve our country.”

Sophomore Trentin Leuik was dressed in a full-body hot dog costume and could be heard two blocks away shouting phrases such as “come get a hot dog” and “your dog wants a hot dog.” Leuik bought the costume for Halloween with hope to make use of it in the future. “I’m having a blast—I’m just running around in a hot dog costume trying to raise some money for the troops,” said Lewis.

Supporting veterans is something the chapter has done in the past and hopes to continue doing, said senior Nathan Peters, chapter president. In previous years the chapter donated to the Wounded Warrior Project, a national military and veterans charity service organization. By donating to the Red Cross they were able to support veterans and active-duty military in the local area.

Sigma Phi Epsilon ended the event raising a total $534 and selling 230 hot dogs.