Eastern After Dark kicks off with lasers

Photo by Melanie Flint

EWU student defends his territory between the book shelves during the laser tag event.

By Allison Todd, Staff Writer

Students lined up in the JFK library to join in on EWU’s first Late Night Laser Tag event of the year on Oct. 1.

From 9 p.m. to midnight, those attending got the chance to take part in eight-minute, every-man-for-himself rounds against their friends, snack on popcorn and punch, and play competitive rounds of Mario Kart on the Wii in between games.

For some students, this was the first event on campus they had gone to since the term started.

“I actually didn’t know it was going on until my friends said they were going,” said freshman Eryn Smith. “I played Mario Kart for most of the time since the line was so long, but it was a lot of fun just being there.”

Late Night Laser Tag was organized by Eastern’s Student Activities, Involvement and Leadership (SAIL) members, with collaboration with the JFK Library and Campus Recreation and was one of the first of SAIL’s Eastern After Dark events.

“We want to give students healthy, non-alcoholic activities to take part in on campus and give them a chance to get involved,” said SAIL member Briseida Rios. And with the amount of people who showed up to play, they seem to be off to a pretty good start; it had only been a little over a week since fall term began and the line for the event nearly stretched out the door.

For students who are looking for other campus activities to try, Campus Recreation puts on a variety of different special events throughout the school year including games of paintball and laser tag. There are plenty of other upcoming activities on SAIL’s calendar as well.

The next Eastern After Dark event, Late Night DIY Canvas Art, is set to happen on Oct. 29. It is scheduled to start at 9 p.m. and will take place in the multi-purpose room (MPR) in the Pence Union Building. Those who attend will learn to paint from instructors from Van Gogh & Merlot in Spokane and keep their artwork at the end of the session. Art supplies will be provided for all participants.