YPN will host first event of the school year

By Lauren Corley, Contributing Writer

The Young Professionals Network (YPN) will be kicking off its first event of the school year Oct. 8 from 5:30 p.m to 7:30 p.m at the Spark Center in Kendall Yards, Spokane.

The tickets are $10 each unless purchasing multiple tickets, for which the price is lowered to $8 each. Food and drink will be included as well as career stations, networking opportunities and drawings for prizes. The theme for this month is, “How to Communicate at Any Age” encouraging people of all ages and experience levels to participate.

The YPN is a monthly event that helps students step out of their comfort zone and network in a less pressured environment. Senior Katiah Peterson attended an event last year and said she gained quite a bit from the experience. “The YPN took me out of my comfort zone and taught me to network myself in a way that felt natural and casual,” she said. “I learned how to present myself, and make my résumé look more appealing to employers while getting to meet working professionals who could share honest insight into the job market.”

Each event has a different angle to help young professionals make themselves more hireable, but the career stations that can be expected at the Oct. 8 event will be: Networking out of Your Network, Advocate for Yourself at Work, Ace Your Interview, Get the Most out of Your Mentor and Résumé Reviews.

For additional information contact the Office of Alumni, or online at alumni.ewu.