Mayhem competition features students

By Nathan Peters, Managing Editor

The Diversified Greek Council (DGC) hosted the first annual Mayhem step and stroll competition in the Showalter Auditorium on May 30. The two-hour show featured performances in addition to recognition of the recipient of the Diversity Scholarship award.

Franklin Castellano was the first recipient of the Diversity Scholarship at Eastern.

Bilal Badruddin, DGC adviser and area coordinator of Streeter and Morrison Halls, said the scholarship was $400 this year. He said the purpose of the scholarship is “to promote academic success.” Badruddin said the scholarship aligns with Eastern’s goals of student retention and it helps provide monetary aid to a student of an underrepresented background.

The Diversity Scholarship is now an annual scholarship expecting to increase to $500 next year, according to Badruddin. He said to apply for the scholarship, students must fill out Eastern’s scholarship application and meet the requirements to apply.

The event started at 7 p.m. and consisted of two rounds of strolling and one round of stepping. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc started off the first round of strolling, followed by Omega Delta Phi Fraternity Inc, Kappa Delta Chi Sorority, Sigma Lambda Gamma Sorority Inc, and Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity.

Endy De La Cruz, student and Omega Delta Phi Fraternity Inc member, performed in his fraternity’s routines. He said he had to fill in after another member was injured a week before the event; De La Cruz said he practiced about four hours each day.

De La Cruz said, “Getting out there and having the support … of all Greek life was pretty awesome.”

Badruddin said, “DGC really wanted to create something of their own. … It was something they were invested in because they were the ones hosting it.” He said at other universities, the DGC and NPHC groups host stroll competitions. EWU DGC wanted to create something similar but different, and added in the stepping portion.

Two exhibition acts were included in the show: Kode Red, Eastern’s dance group, and Sky Movement, a rap duo. Sky Movement was giving away free Summer Jam tickets to members in the audience.

Having the two exhibition groups perform was to get different groups of people involved. According to Badruddin, DGC wanted to involve not only Greek students, but also non-Greek students to attend the event and learn more about the DGC organizations at Eastern.

Other Greek students from the Panhellenic sororities attended the event: “We want to support [the DGC groups]; they always support us,” said Ashley Guilbault, student and Alpha Xi Delta Sorority member. She said she didn’t know what to expect of the competition.

Prizes for first through third place were awarded to the organizations, as voted by the event judges. First place won a trophy and $1,000, second place won a trophy and $350 and third place won a trophy and $100.

Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity won first place, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc won second place and Sigma Lambda Gamma Sorority won third place.

“It was a successful show, but it will only get better,” said Badruddin.