Mayfest brings Cheney together

Mayfest brings Cheney together

EWU students stop to enjoy a beverage during Mayfest on May 29.

Photo by Anna Mills

Photo by Anna Mills

Photo by Anna Mills

By Katie Dunn, Staff Writer

The streets in front of Brewster Hall were filled with people last Saturday celebrating the third annual Mayfest.

Events began on May 29 with music from the Kelly Hughes Band, local country music players from Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.

On Saturday, vendors lined the streets from First, College and F. Vendors sold candy, raffle tickets, crafts, jewelry and clothing. Activities were spread throughout the streets including three-on-three basketball and human Foosball.

EWU’s Epic Adventures brought down a climbing wall and the Hoot Boutique held a fashion show featuring clothing offered in their store.

“Cheney is a nice place,” said Patricia Alberts, an Eastern graduate who had a colorful display of tie dye and batik clothing at the festival.

Mayfest first got started in 2013 and was headed by Jason Williams from Owl Pharmacy, Danielle LaBar from The Mason Jar and Dori Byrd from Holiday Inn Express.

“This is just my opinion, but I would definitely consider Mayfest 2015 a huge success,” said Williams.

This year, Mayfest was organized and planned by a volunteer committee of five people from the business community, along with a liaison from the City of Cheney Parks and Recreation department and a representative from EWU’s Office of Community Engagement, said Williams.

“Of course the execution involved many people and organizations and businesses from the community,” said Williams.

The committee began planning this year’s Mayfest back in October, said Williams. The committee scheduled a two-hour weekly meeting to brainstorm ideas, delegate duties and report on the various tasks each of them were covering.

“Other than the weekly meetings, we all just worked on getting stuff done as our work and family schedules allowed,” said Williams.

According to Williams, this year’s event was much larger than the previous two years. He attributes this to the fact that this year, five people were on the committee opposed to the two or three members from previous years.

“The committee members all brought some really creative and interesting ideas that were then very well executed,” said Williams. “Not to mention that the additional committee members are incredibly connected and very committed to seeing Cheney thrive.”

The committee will be holding a recap meeting next week to do follow up and to go over the numbers, according to Williams. This will allow for the committee to make a list of ways they can improve next year’s event.

“I thought the energy and crowds were awesome this year and the feedback during and the little bit I heard yesterday was really positive,” said Williams.“I think we had a great turn out and I know I had the most fun yet at a Mayfest.”

About the Writer