Women’s basketball losing seven players

Departures leave EWU women’s basketball with just five players on scholarship

Jessica Hawley

Jade Redmon preparing to take a free throw shot.

By Brandon Cline, Staff Writer

Coming off perhaps the best season in program history, the EWU women’s basketball team finds itself with just five players on scholarship after seven players left the program this offseason.

Most notable amongst those leaving the program is sophomore Jade Redmon, who has started in 52 games for the Eagles and notched a triple-double against Wichita State University this past year. Redmon has not yet revealed what school she will transfer to.

Redmon cited the coaching style as the primary reason why she’s transferring, saying she “wasn’t happy here.”

With Redmon departing and Lexie Nelson and Melissa Williams graduating, EWU returns just two starters from last year’s squad, Hayley Hodgins and Delaney Hodgins. Other returning players include Tisha Phillips, Bethany Montgomery and Mariah Cunningham, with Phillips being the only one of the three to average more than five minutes a game last season.

Other players not returning to the program are freshman Kiana Brown, redshirt freshman Haley Shaner, sophomore Marly Anderson, sophomore Hanna Mack, redshirt sophomore Cece Pearl and redshirt junior Kayleigh Ryan.

Mack did not play this season, with head coach Wendy Schuller telling the Spokesman-Review that Mack came to her before the season began and said she had “simply lost interest in playing anymore.” However, the Eugene, Oregon, native will resume her basketball career playing for Eugene’s Northwest Christian, a Division II program.

Although Ryan is graduating, she still had one year of eligibility left after redshirting her first year on campus. Ryan has undergone three knee surgeries and will not continue her basketball career at another school. The other four will transfer to universities to continue their collegiate basketball careers.

Brown was critical of the program in an interview with the Spokesman-Review, saying, “I find it strange that so many people have voiced their unhappiness and they are going to look for other options next year, but there hasn’t been anyone looking into the source of the problem.”

The Eagles are looking to quickly reload their roster with recruits and transfers, with the team having already signed several players whose names are yet to be released.

“I would guess in the next week or so that we’re back up to about 12 [players], which is a healthy roster,” said Schuller. “We’ll continue just to talk to kids and see who’s out there.”

The Eagles finished with 21 wins in the 2014-15 season, tied for the most in program history and the most in Schuller’s 14 years at EWU. The team finished 12-6 in the Big Sky regular season and advanced to the semifinals of the Big Sky Tournament, losing to Montana, 55-51. They also beat the University of Florida to win the Gator Holiday Classic in non-conference play.

The Eagles were selected to participate in the Women’s National Invitational Tournament, where they took down Washington State University, 67-65, on a game-winning shot by Redmon, giving the team another signature win. EWU fell in the second round to conference foe Sacramento State University, 84-49.