Yard show showcases Greek organizations

Contributed by Gamma Alpha Omega sorority

Sorority members pose for their yard show event on May 20.

By Nathan Peters, Managing Editor

Gamma Alpha Omega’s third annual Yard Show was held at the campus mall May 20. The Diversified Greek Council (DGC) and National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) organization members showcased their routines for each other and passing students.

For the DGC and NPHC chapters, yard shows are more informal events open to the public that showcase the step and stroll routines of its members, according to Adan Meza, DGC president and Omega Delti Phi fraternity member.

Stepping is making rhythmic beats with your body. Strolling is dancing in sync with a number of people in a line to music. The step and strolls are often traditions of the multicultural organizations, meaning they are an organization-wide tradition taught and learned to members across the country.

Vanessa Lopez, an EWU student, attended the event with her friend, student Edith Melendez.

Lopez said, “There was a big rally, so we wanted to see.” She also said she had friends performing in the yard show.

Melanie Murphy, Gamma Alpha Omega sorority member and next year’s DGC president, said yard shows are public relations events to help the campus learn about the DGC and NPHC organizations.

“There are only a couple of events throughout the school year that recognizes multicultural organizations,” said Murphy.

There are five DGC and NPHC fraternities at Eastern and five DGC and NPHC sororities. The chapters on campus belong to their affiliated national and international organizations.

Mayhem, the DGC-hosted step and stroll competition during Greek Week, will take place on May 30, 7-9 p.m. in Showalter Auditorium. For the Mayhem and Lip Sync Competition, tickets must be purchased at the EWU Bookstore.