Water needs to be this summer’s beverage of choice

By Joe Matthews, Contributing Writer

Killing over 2 million people worldwide every year, according to the Encyclopedia of Children’s Health website, dehydration is a dangerous condition that puts Eastern students at risk.

With symptoms such as headaches, slight dizziness and dry skin, dehydration doesn’t seem to be too much to handle. However, if not treated, the symptoms could worsen to blood pressure decrease, rapid heart rate and even the inability to walk from being so dizzy. Dehydration occurs when one does not drink enough fluids for their body to maintain its normal functions.

With summer fast approaching and temperatures getting higher by the day, it is time for students to rethink their consumption of liquids, the main liquid being water.

With 60 percent of the human body’s weight consisting of water, it is clear the liquid plays a vital role in the body’s proper functioning. Every system in the body needs water. For example, consistent water intake will help clear out pollutants in organs; it helps transfer nutrients to the cells, and it even helps provide small amounts of energy.

Water is important, and with the heat this area receives in the summer, lack of hydration could affect students’ summer breaks.

It used to be said that eight, 8-ounce servings were sufficient; however, recent studies have come out stating that more is needed.

According to the Mayo Clinic, “The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake for men is roughly 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day. The adequate intake for women is about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of beverages a day.” It is important that water is the main drink of choice, especially when the temperature rises.

Sweat plays a big role in the body’s hydration. The more the body sweats, the more water is needed to compensate.

“The recommendation for water consumption when you’re working out is about 16 to 24 ounces an hour,” said Jacob Rehm, the EWU Physical Education, Health and Recreation Department director. Students have access to water all over campus, according to Rehm.

“We don’t hide our water fountains from [students],” said Rehm.

“Students should always be cognizant of how hot the temperature is outside and have a water bottle with you,” said Rehms. Another way to stay well hydrated without even drinking water is to eat foods that contain water, like fruits and vegetables. Watermelon and spinach are both great options due to the fact that they are, by weight, about 90 percent water.

Though it may not taste sweet like soda or other drinks, water will provide more benefits to the body than most any other drink will. The amount needed to stay healthy may vary a little by climate and exercise regimen, but no matter what, a decent amount of water is needed to be productive and stay alive.