Big Sky Conference inks 3 year deal with Reno

By Sam Deal, Sports Editor

For the first time, Eagle fans will know where the Big Sky basketball tournament is being held long before the season begins. The Big Sky Conference revealed Friday that the annual season ending basketball tournament will be hosted in Reno, Nevada, for at least the next three years.

The tournament had previously been hosted by the winner of the Big Sky regular season.

“I think our team will really enjoy having the tournament in Reno,” said men’s head coach Jim Hayford. “I also like the notion that all our fans, the men’s and women’s team, the band and the cheerleaders can all be a part of a tournament experience together.  This is a good step forward as a conference.”

The conference stretches across nine states from California to North Dakota. With a set location, the tournament’s organizers will now have more than a few days to prepare the sight of the tournament.

This season the host site came down to the final game of the season, when the University of Montana tied Eastern for first in conference. UM held a tie-breaker and hosted the tournament, which EWU would go on to win.

“The idea of a pre-determined — and in this case a neutral site for both tournaments — has been a long time in the making,” said Eastern athletic director Bill Chaves. “Once the conference spread over three time zones it became increasingly more difficult for our fans, and more importantly the families of our student-athletes, to attend the championships. This should help remedy that situation.”

The Reno Events Center beat out the Spokane Arena’s bid, which consisted of games at both Reese Court and downtown Spokane.