Halekas’ “lifelong interest in music” stronger

Halekas

Halekas

By Griffin Stiles, Contributing Writer

Music is an inextricable part of our lives. It is woven and worked into almost every facet of our society. Humans have been creating music for almost as long as there have been humans. But were we the first? Are we the only musicians on this world?

Professor George Halekas, a wildlife biologist and conservationist, believes music goes beyond the human sphere and represents something more sublime.

In his presentation on April 15, Halekas examined both the music of nature and the nature of music. He spoke about how music influences our lives and changes our views.

“I’ve got a lifelong interest in music,” said Halekas. “It’s powered to influence all of our human emotions.”

Halekas has made it his study to explore the relationship between nature and music.

“I suppose it’s my way of honoring the biologists who have made groundbreaking discoveries and the modern musicians who are using their music to broaden the whole spectrum,” he said.

The presentation itself began with the gentle cacophony of a Central African rain-forest. Birdsong battled for attention over the low buzz of the cicadas. Thousands of creatures, insect, reptile and mammal, chattered and chirped in the underbrush, all contributing some to the overall medley.

Animals and insects weren’t the only inhabitants of the rain-forest, however. Soon, a warbling harmony of human voices added themselves to the soundscape. The pygmy tribes of the forest were on the hunt.

“Everything in the forest has a spirit that they need to mindful and respectful of,” Halekas said. “Their songs are as much a part of the forest’s sound as any of the animals.”

The pygmies paid close attention to the sound of the forest for other reasons as well, as Halekas was quick to point out: “Their attention to the noise of their surroundings could be the difference between finding enough food to feed their family and becoming food for some other predator.”

The presentation went on to cover other sounds and parts of the world. Halekas discussed the nuances of whale song and the intricacies of a bird’s chirping, slowed down to a fraction of its usual speed. He even talked about the sounds of space and how the deepest noise we have discovered is emitted by a black hole.

In the end though, it all came back to the earth. Halekas described the earth as a “singing planet” and a “sonic gem.”

The presentation was met with positive results, many of the attendees stating that it gave them a new
respect for the music of nature.

“It was really interesting to get a comprehensive view of it all, sound paired with nature,” said Andre Thibodaux, a senior. “The music can really unite us and nature on a level we don’t even understand. It is truly universal.”

Felicia Smith, also a senior, agreed. “It was very eye opening. We really don’t think about the impact sound has on us.”

“It expanded my concept of sound,” said Yasir Jaz, senior. “It was all about how to communicate with the world around you with sound and music.”

Halekas’ final message to the attendees was a call to action. “I really encourage you to go out into our soundscapes and appreciate their beauty and majesty,” he concluded. “Because the world is changing and they might be more fleeting than any of us realize.”