Pride Week soon to come to a close

Williams

Williams

By Lelia Thatcher, Contributing Writer

There are three days and six events left in this year’s Pride Week as of Wednesday morning, and it is bigger than ever before, according to Sandra Williams, Pride Center coordinator.

EWU ally Joshuena Williams said she agrees and expects this year’s Pride Week to “have more engaged students because of the work the Pride Center has done to bring forth issues such as gender neutral bathrooms and the importance of a more centralized Pride Center.”

“The goal for Pride week is to raise awareness and celebrate the LGBTQ students that are on the EWU campus,” said Sandra Williams in an email interview. “The Pride Center provides entertainment, education and workshops that address issues that are of importance to the LGBTQ community as we work to make EWU a more welcoming and inclusive campus for all students.”

Monday kicked off the week with the Faces of Pride event, a photo display at the Campus Mall featuring allies on the EWU campus. The event originated last year but was so popular, the Pride Center decided to do it again. This year, there were so many faculty and staff asking to have their photo featured in the display Williams was concerned there wouldn’t be enough time to incorporate them all.

On April 21, Alfreda Lenoix, Pride Week keynote speaker, is a minister and author of “Go To Hell” who spoke insightfully about the struggles she endured with her sexual orientation and spirituality as well as her journey to self acceptance.

There was also bi/pan/a-sexuality bingo on April 21 in Showalter Hall that was designed to educate students, yet have fun.

At 10 a.m. on Wednesday in Hargreaves 119, a panel of LGBTQ seniors and young adults called “Then vs Now” will have a discussion about what it was like to grow up LGBTQ decades ago compared to what it’s like today. Williams said she is particularly excited for this event, expecting it to be “incredibly insightful and hopefully uplifting for LGBTQIA students and campus as a whole.”

On April 22 there will be a drag show starring a local drag queen. He will host a workshop at 3 p.m., teaching students how to drag and then at 6 p.m. students will be performing on campus.

On Thursday, Eryn Woods will be putting on a concert at the Campus Mall at noon. At 4 p.m. in the Pride Center is “How to be an LGBTQ ally,” hosted by MEChA. “Ash Beckham – A closet is no place to live” starts at 7 p.m. in the Showalter Auditorium.

To conclude this year’s Pride Week, there will be a diversity dance and rainbow social at 6 p.m. in PUB 354.