Design club helps students with marketing, artwork

By Griffin Stiles, Contributing Writer

Of the many clubs and organizations EWU has to offer, the Visual Communication Design Club, or VCDC, is perhaps one of the most overlooked.

The VCDC gives students an opportunity to exercise and hone their artistic talent while networking with others who share their interest.

Katria Dony, one of the club’s leading chairs, said the VCDC was open to anyone.

“Even if you’re just vaguely interested in art, the club is a great place to expand your artistic bounds,” said Dony. “We’re really here to help everyone figure out what fits their style.”

The club caters to a wide array of artistic aims, as evidenced by the varied goals of its members.

Mia Yoshida and Amanda Todd, two of the club’s other leading chairs, were both quite enthusiastic about their goals.

“I’d like to do something in advertising,” said Yoshida. “There’s a whole lot to do in that field.”

Somewhere else in the career spectrum was Todd: “I really want to do character design for video games,” she said.

Just as the goals of the members are diverse, so are their preferred art styles and mediums.

“I’m more focused on computer design,” said Dony. “I’m much more in tune with the organizational aspect of graphical design, so creating art with a computer appeals to me.”

Todd said she preferred a more traditional approach to her art. “I really like illustration and hand lettering. I guess I’m more of a fine artist.”

Students do not need a preferred style to be an active member of the club.

“I’m just trying everything out,” said Yoshida. “I mean, there certainly hasn’t been anything that I hate.”

The VCDC has recently experienced a revitalization and re-gearing, changing its mission, its activities and even its leadership while also hoping to take a larger role in its campus involvement.

“We’re trying to make the club something very active in the school community,” said Todd. “We’re going to be collaborating with other clubs to help with advertising and things like that. It’s really all about clubs helping out clubs.”

Examples of the VCDC’s work can already be seen. The club is currently working on designing cards for Mother’s Day, which they hope to sell to fund field excursions.

The VCDC is always on the lookout for new members and meets regularly at 5:30 p.m. every Thursday in the CEB, room 125. The club welcomes any newcomers and hopes to nurture a supportive community of art and personal growth. Anyone looking for more information might check out the club’s Facebook page by typing VCDclub into the search bar.