Duke wins fifth title

By Sam Deal, Sports Editor

Mike Krzyzewski called a timeout. Duke was down 9 and the game was starting to slip away from the Blue Devils. Justise Winslow and Jahlil Okafor were both on the bench in foul trouble.

Here comes Grayson Allen, the high-flying, unheralded freshman who averaged only four points-a-game scored 8 straight Blue Devil points to bring Duke within four.

The Blue Devils never looked back and would continue to outscore UW by 14 points in the final 13 minutes winning by a score of 68-63, claiming the school’s fifth national title.

“We were kind of dead in the water,” said Krzyzewski after the game. “We were nine points down and Grayson just put us on his back.”

Fellow freshman and the Final Four’s Most Outstanding Player Tyus Jones would score 11 of Duke’s final 19 points hitting two big 3-pointers to put the Badgers away for good. Jones led all scorers with 23 points.

Frank Kaminsky scored 21 points to go along with 12 rebounds and at times, looked like the best player on the floor. The Naismith Player of the Year put potential number one overall pick, Okafor, in foul trouble early and appeared too skilled for the freshman to handle.

At the end of the game Okafor got the best of ‘Frank the Tank’ with clutch offensive rebounds and layups that kept the Blue Devils ahead.

“He got in some foul trouble, but because of his positive attitude, he made some big plays down the stretch,” said Jones.

Wisconsin junior forward Sam Dekker, whose late 3-pointer lifted the Badger’s over Kentucky on Saturday night, could not find his range all game and never really settled into a groove going 0-6 from long range.

“I don’t know what it was with my outside shot tonight,” said a teary-eyed Dekker after the game. “Short on the first — two short ones. One long. I guess I just wasn’t in a rhythm, a strong rhythm, the way I had been lately. Credit to Duke, throwing a bunch of defenses at me and making it tough for me to get going. That’s the sign of a good team.”

Duke’s improved defense had been one of the many undertones of the season and seemed to stifle the top rated Badger attack.

Led by Amile Jefferson and Quinn Cook, the Blue Devils defense locked down Wisconsin much the way they did against Michigan State and Gonzaga in previous games, even with Winslow on the bench.

This is Duke’s fifth title under Coach K which ranks him second all-time, trailing only UCLA’s John Wooden. This team will go down as one of Krzyzewski best coaching jobs with three freshman starters, one senior and only eight players on scholarship.

On winning with this team Krzyzewski’s response was short and simple.

“It was heaven.”

It would not be a true NCAA championships without referees making a few calls that have at least one fan base in up in arms and this game did not disappoint in that aspect. Actually you can say it did disappoint.

With 3:14 remaining in the second half Winslow fed Okafor under the basket for a lay-up but appeared to step out of bounds before releasing the pass. No whistle blew and Okafor put Duke up 3.

A minute later, a loose ball out of bounds was given to Duke. The played went under official review and the call was upheld even though the replay showed Winslow touching the ball last.

Duke also held a 20-10 free throw advantage for the entire game even though the Blue Devils starters were in foul trouble most of the game.

“There was more body contact in this game than any game we played all year and I just feel sorry for my guys that all of the sudden a game was like that,” said Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan.