PUB remodel moves forward for consideration

By Jasmine Ari Kemp, News Editor

In a second attempt to remodel the Pence Union Building, ASEWU held a special election on Feb. 24.

Out of 2,053 votes cast, 1,052 people voted for the remodel, 983 people voted against the remodel and 18 people abstained.

The 2,053 people who voted and abstained represent 14 percent of the total, eligible voting population.

Kelsey Lavelle, ASEWU’s director of elections, said 10 percent of the university population needed to vote so the results could be valid. The 10 percent requirement is written in ASEWU’s bylaws.

Lavelle said she is aware of the concerns about low voter turnout. She said that it is common in the 18-24 age group to not vote.

“I would have liked to have a more realistic turnout,” said Lavelle. She added that the 2 percent jump in participation from last year was pleasing.

Changes in voting methods were slightly different this year than last. Lavelle said she consolidated the usual two voting stations in the PUB to add another voting station in the URC near the gym. The ASEWU also added a voting station at Pearce Hall and tried to add one at Dressler Hall, but the Internet was failing to connect.

Isaiah Irish, a junior, voted at the station near the URC gym.

“I was at the gym; it was right there. It took no time.”

Irish said he voted for the remodel because he thought the PUB was getting old as it was and the bus area is not aesthetically pleasing.

Irish will not be at EWU when the remodeling process starts happening, but he said it will benefit future students.

Benefitting future students and the future of EWU was the overarching argument ASEWU presented voters. Its website acknowledges the need for safety enhancements as well as improved parking and more room for bus traffic.

Yet, not all students at EWU regularly use the PUB.

Lavelle said ASEWU heard concerns from Riverpoint students. There were different levels of arguments for and against the remodel from them. They range from simple aesthetics to the dichotomy of going to a campus 16 miles away from the main hub of the university.

“They go to school in Spokane, and they live and work out there. … [Some of them] have no reason to come out to Cheney,” she said.

Riverpoint students will still have to pay the fee regardless if they ever come to the Cheney campus. The proposal from ASEWU regarding payment from students does not make a distinction about students who do and do not use the Cheney campus facilities.

There are also commuter students, like EWU freshman Brandi Jones, who only stay on campus for as long as they need and go home right after class.

Jones said she did not vote on the remodel. She likes the way the PUB is now.

“I’m not focused on the political side of Eastern. … I’m more involved with my family. I have a boyfriend. I’m more concerned about myself,” said Jones.

The vote will be certified at the ASEWU council meeting on March 3. After that, the vote will either be denied or approved by the board of trustees at its next meeting on March 20.