Women’s History Month evokes change

From Carter’s term to a month of women’s history, top female leaders prove worth

By Ariel Kimbleton, Staff Writer

March is Women’s History Month in the U.S., the U.K. and Australia. In the U.S., it began as a tribute to International Women’s Day, which started on March 8, 1911. In 1980, President Jimmy Carter made a proclamation to start a Women’s History Week, and in 1988, it was changed to women’s History Month.

Women’s History Month was seen widely by feminist scholars as a necessary addition to our lives that allows us to recognize the historical achievements of women, that are not typically recognized throughout the rest of the year.

EWU women’s and gender studies professor Jessica Willis said, “It would be nice to be in a time when [Women’s History Month] wasn’t necessary. When people could name as many female historical role models as they can male.”

Willis said this month creates a heightened awareness that she believes people tend to forget throughout the year.

“I believe [Women’s History Month] is so important because we [as women] have come so far, but we aren’t necessarily there yet. There is so much history to look back to as an example of the progress we have made and can still make,” said Christine Burns, an EWU freshman.

Burns said she believes this is a month where people of all genders can submerge themselves in the idea of equality.

“[Women’s History Month] is an attempt to upset the dominant cultural discourse. By forming a diverse community, we contribute to society as a whole,” said Willis. “This is a time for celebration, awareness, networking and reimagining. It’s a great time for cultural conversations and connections to be made. It reminds me of talking about and hearing stories of prominent women we don’t often hear about.”

There are many events being held throughout the month of March for Women’s History in the Spokane area.

One event that is co-sponsored by the EWU Women’s Studies Center and the Spokane Feminist Forum is a film screening of “She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry” followed by a community discussion. According to the Facebook event page, the film “resurrects the buried history of the outrageous, often brilliant women who founded the modern women’s movement from 1966 to 1971.” The event is being held on March 15 at 7 p.m. at the Magic Lantern, with $8 tickets sold at the door.