Eastern’s JFK Library delivers more than expected

By Connor Gragg, Contributing Writer

There is far more to EWU’s JFK Library than initially meets the eye. The days of being shushed by librarians and scouring shelf after shelf of leather-bound reference titles are long gone, and the time of the multidimensional, integrated learning center is upon us.

“I can do pretty much anything from home, on my laptop, that I could in the library,” said junior business management major Matthew Sheehy, expressing a sentiment common among students. But there are more learning resources and student success tools at the library than most Eagles realize.

“The library is really the creative hub of campus,” said Suzanne Milton, dean of EWU Libraries. “It is a place for all students to learn in many different ways, a place for both contemplation and collaboration.”

Quiet places to study are rare on a college campus, and places for focused, on-task students to work cooperatively are even rarer. However, the JFK Library offers many ways to find both.

Private study rooms can be found in the library and are available to any and all students on a first-come, first-served basis.

Students seeking a more collaborative experience can take part in PLUS groups. These are scheduled study groups taught by grad students, which will be made up of students taking the same course.

The Writers’ Center in the library is popular with students and is found to be extremely helpful.

“I love the writer’s center,” said senior Kelsey Lavelle. “It’s really helpful to be able to bounce ideas off of someone.”

Lavelle said these resources are not just for students who are struggling.

“I’m a pretty strong writer, but it’s still really great to able to receive feedback on work I’ve already done as well as get help on work I still have to do,” said Lavelle.

Tools and materials ranging from headphones to laptops and professional-level video cameras are available in the library to be checked out by students, and technical support is offered for anyone in need. E-readers, projectors, tablets and DVD/VHS players are offered as well, ready to assist in various projects, presentations and in any other time of need.

Perhaps the most innovative and exciting component of the recent evolution of the library is the ability to access and utilize library resources without physically visiting the building.

The library’s many online databases link students directly to thousands of full-text articles, academic journals and even many books that students would normally have to pay for. Even those who choose to wait until the morning before a test to study are not out of luck, as the JFK library now offers a 24-hour reference help line. The reference line connects students via phone or the Internet to real, human librarians who are trained in the systems and databases used by EWU.

No matter what course a student is enrolled in or what type of work they may be doing, there is most likely a tool in the library that will help students work more effectively and efficiently.

Just as the manner in which students learn is constantly evolving, so is the library. A student may still be shushed and some information may still be found between thick, leather bindings, but the JFK Library as a whole has adapted to 21st century learners and is ready to help all students find success.