McNair Program pledges diversity, success

Graphic by Joseph Weeden

Postbaccalaureate program at Eastern helps underrepresented students gain traction with educational help, financial assistance

By Ariel Kimbleton, Staff Writer

Since its establishment at EWU in 1995, the Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program has served about 29 per year in continuing their pursuit of higher education after they complete their bachelor degrees, according to the EWU McNair website.

By providing research opportunities, financial assistance and academic support, the program has made it its mission to help students achieve their academic goals. The McNair program is a part of EWU’s TRiO organization and receives federal funding for the scholarly activities and community engagement it provides.

The program focuses on students from underrepresented segments of society, including first-generation college students, those from low-income backgrounds and minorities in doctoral studies such as African-Americans, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians, Hispanics and Pacific Islanders.

The McNair program encourages better representation in a variety of different fields of study by providing opportunities for students who have historically had a more difficult time seeking higher education. The program’s mission is to help students out as much as possible in their doctorate degree.

“Every student interested in [graduate] programs should seek out every opportunity that there is out there,” said Cynthia Dukich, assistant director of the McNair Scholars Program. “There are lots of funding opportunities available for those students. That’s something we do with McNair scholars.”

Dukich said it can be difficult for students from various backgrounds, especially low-income, to continue seeking higher education. Fortunately, the McNair program offers various ways to fund research opportunities for students accepted into the program.

One of these opportunities is the McNair Summer Research Internship. Students who are accepted as McNair scholars are able to pair up with faculty in their chosen fields to do research over the course of the summer. In addition to the $2,800 stipend given to the scholars for their research, they are also given 12 summer credits at no tuition cost.

Another way the McNair program assists students is by helping them fund other ways to gain experience in their given field.

“I think the McNair program has been very beneficial to me. It’s helped the students admitted gain experience by going to conferences with top-notch professionals in our degrees,” said Yuri Reyes, a neuroscience student accepted into the McNair program last spring. “My friend in the program went to a math conference in Texas last year.”

However, the McNair program does not just offer financial assistance. Carlos Muñoz, academic advisor for the McNair scholars, is available to assist students on other matters entirely. He advises students on their application processes, helps them with their record exams or placement tests and assists in making faculty connections.

“Winter is typically when new students are admitted, while fall quarter is when the submission of applications are open,” said Muñoz, “But students are always encouraged to apply throughout the year.”

The McNair Scholars Program is an opportunity for assistance for qualified students in their pursuit of higher education. Since its establishment at EWU, the McNair program has helped over 100 students earn their master’s or doctorate degrees.

For more information on the McNair Scholars Program, stop by Monroe 107 or visit ewu.edu/academics/trio-mcnair-scholar-program.