W-2 not needed to submit FAFSA on priority deadline

By Eric Long, Chief Copy Editor

Students who want to fill out their Free Application for Student Aid, but think they cannot due to not having a W-2, can estimate in the taxes section of the online form.

Many students, such as junior Megan Darrow, who is waiting for her W-2 to come in from a seasonal job she works in Vancouver, Washington, did not know estimates could be used.

“Last year we had a problem [with the priority deadline],” said Darrow.

Kandi Teeters, associate director for financial aid and scholarships, said students estimate on their financial aid form and turn it in early to reserve priority financial aid.

“You can use estimated figures to fill out your financial aid form,” said Teeters.

Teeters said there is nothing wrong with giving estimates as long as students remember to update the information as soon as they receive their W-2s. It is required to update this information.

Not updating this information can cause students to lose their priority eligibility.

“If your income situation hasn’t changed greatly from the last time you filed your tax return, you can just use those numbers again…,” said Teeters.

A convenient tool offered by the FAFSA website is the data retrieval tool, which students can use to electronically transfer their tax information from the IRS website to their financial aid form; this can help students with their estimates.

If students have issues with both options, Teeters said they can just use their best judgment and calculate in their head a good estimate.

Students who do not believe there is enough information about estimating on the FAFSA need only to pay attention around campus and check their student email.

Sophomore Shelli Speranzi had an issue over the summer when she had to file her off-campus job as miscellaneous when she was filling out her FAFSA.

“It was technically a miscellaneous income,” said Speranzi.

She said she was given no help from the financial aid office and was afraid she was not going to get the aid she depends on for the year.

“All they did was throw paperwork at me,” said Speranzi.

Teeters said EWU reminds students about important FAFSA details and that the financial aid office is available to help students who are afraid of estimating on their form.

“It’s certainly out on all of our websites and any publication and any time we do a public presentation across campus or out in the community,” said Teeters. “But, we do a reminder message via email using the Eagles email.”

The financial aid office is located on the bottom floor of Sutton Hall and is open Monday through Friday.

The deadline for W-2s is Jan. 31 and students who want priority financial aid need to submit their FAFSA by Feb. 15.