Women’s basketball undefeated in Big Sky

Eagles defeat the Vandals, 71-65

Jessica Hawley

Jade Redmon preparing to take a free throw shot.

By Fetlew Gebreziabher, Online Sports Editor

The Eagles’ women’s basketball team defeated the University of Idaho, 71-65, to stay perfect in Big Sky play on Jan. 10.

EWU senior forward Melissa Williams led the team with 15 points and 13 rebounds. It was her fifth double-double of the season. Senior guards Lexie Nelson and Delaney Hodgins both added 10 points while shooting 50 percent from the field.

After many exchanges of runs and lead changes, the Eagles were able to close out on a 13-4 run to end the game. The Eagles shot 44 percent with 14 assists and forced 15 Vandal turnovers.

The Eagles led by as much as 16 points in the first half, but the Vandals would cut that down to seven going into halftime.

“Sometimes, when you’ve been ahead like we were and the other team comes back to take the lead, it’s easy to lie down and give up,” said head coach Wendy Schuller. “I was glad to see that our team has that fortitude to fight through and get a stop, then turn around and get a basket and find a way to win.”

The Vandals would take the lead just four minutes into the second half, but the Eagles answered with a seven-point run with 11:13 left in the game.

After a few run exchanges, sophomore guard Jade Redmon, who finished with 13 points, hit a pair of free throws to put EWU up one with 3:23 left to play.

According to goeags.com, the Eagles would seal the victory after Idaho’s Brooke Reilly missed a wide open layup on a set play. Williams was intentionally fouled after grabbing the board and put up two free throws to give EWU a 68-63 lead with 39 seconds left.

“As Jon [Newlee, Idaho’s head coach] and I walked by each other at the end, it’s just like, ‘Every year is this way.’ It always comes down to the wire, and today’s game was no different,” said Schuller.

EWU stays perfect at 3-0 in conference play, 10-4 overall. They are also on a six-game winning streak, which, according to goeags.com, is the longest winning streak since the 2011-12 season.

Nelson said the team is “not satisfied one bit.” She also said commitment and focus is key for them to continue their success.

“Right now, we are just taking things one game at a time. We are doing our best to prepare every week in practice. Our coaches make sure we are prepared every week for our opponents,” said Nelson.

The Eagles will host Portland State University on Jan. 15 at Reese Court.