KHQ-TV and Eastern team up for teacher of the month program

By Shawntelle Moncy, Staff Writer

KHQ-TV and EWU have come together since 1987 to acknowledge the impact teachers have made on their students’ lives, with a program called Teacher of the Month. Since then, many stories have been told through letters of students about how their teachers have changed their lives.

“I think it’s one of the most important things that we do,” said Mariann Donley, co-director of Undergraduate Elementary Education Programs at EWU.

Since it began, the program has recognized 275 teachers from the Canadian border to Idaho, anywhere KHQ’s viewing range is located.

According to Lori Reiman, MIT and graduate program assistant at EWU, the Teacher of the Month is chosen by students ranging from Kindergarten through sophomore year in college. Students write letters to EWU about a teacher that has made an impact in their lives and why they deserve the Teacher of the Month award.

The teacher is chosen by different EWU professors each month, based on how much impact that teacher has had on that student’s life.

“These are teachers that have gone above and beyond and they have inspired these students,” said Reiman.

KHQ-TV was one of the first to sponsor the Teacher of the Month program. Over time, the station has become a partner in the program.

“KHQ, which has always been deeply involved in the community, looked at Teacher of the Month as a tremendous vehicle to celebrate our local educators,” said Neal Boling, of KHQ.

According to Donley, after the teacher is chosen, KHQ and some EWU faculty travel to the school where the teacher is located and plan a surprise assembly where the award is given.

Some words of appreciation are said from an EWU faculty member about the teacher and why that teacher was chosen, then the teacher is awarded a certificate of appreciation and the student who nominated the teacher is brought up as well.

KHQ records these assemblies and air them on their network.

“Teachers work really, really hard, and it’s great to be recognized, especially by a student,” said Donley.

November’s Teacher of the Month, John Adams of West Valley City School in Spokane, said, “For me, the honor is bigger than me as a teacher. It recognizes that schools like [West Valley] City School provide an innovative education that is brain friendly, teach kids to become creative problem solvers and most importantly, recognize that relationships are the most critical foundation of providing a great education.”

EWU and KHQ continue to recognize teachers for impacting students’ lives “just to say, ‘Hey we appreciate you, you’re doing a good job and thank you for what you do,’” said Reiman.