Women’s basketball defeats Wichita State, 86-58

By Elohino Theodore, Senior Reporter

On Nov. 18, the Eagles defeated Wichita State University, 86-58, at home. Eastern got the upper hand offensively from the opening minutes of the first half.

With the help of Redshirt junior guard Hayley Hodgins, the Eagles managed to open up a 25-7 lead with 6:45 remaining in the first half.

Hodgins said the team was prepared for Wichita State coming into the game.

“I really just think that we were really focused [during the week],” said Hodgins. “The energy was just different coming off our not-as-well of a performance in Utah. I think we knew we could do better.”

Eastern ended up leading the Shockers by 25 points at the half, 43-18. Hodgins had 17 points in the first half. Redshirt senior guard Lexie Nelson had nine points, sophomore guard Jade Redmon had six points, five rebounds and five assists.

It was the same story in the second half as the Eagles continued to lead. Eastern pushed the deficit 26 points at the 18 minute mark in the second half, 50-23. Wichita State cut the Eagles lead to 18 at one point in the second half; however, the Eagles again increased their lead to get the victory.

“They’re a good, quality team. They’re athletic, they have some good players,” said Nelson. “We knew coming into [the game] we were going to have to really play well and stay focused.”

The Eagles ended up shooting 48 percent for the game. They led the Shockers in rebounding, 47-35. Eastern also scored 32 points in the paint, along with 16 fast break points.

Redmon made school history as she recorded EWU’s first ever triple-double: 10 points, 11 rebounds and 11 assists. Hodgins finished the game with a career high of 30 points, Nelson had 29 points. Senior forward Melissa Williams had seven points and a career high of 16 rebounds.

Eastern will compete on the road against Southern Methodist University on Nov. 22.