Senior football players reflect on the past

Anna Mills

WR Cory Mitchell with his family on Senior Day

By Fetlew Gebreziabher, Online Sports Editor

As the clock ticked to zero in the seniors’ final regular season game at Roos Field, the field lights shown on smiling faces after the Eagles beat the University of Montana on Nov. 8.

According to senior linebacker Cody McCarthy, there were a lot of emotions leading up to the game and throughout.

It was a lot of high emotions. It was awesome to see the young guys really step up and see the look in their eyes that they wanted to get it done for us,” said McCarthy. “The stars really aligned to make that our senior night against Montana. It was an awesome atmosphere here at Roos Field and it was really special to go out with the big win that we did and it meant a lot to me.”

Senior wide receiver Cory Mitchell shared similar sentiments as McCarthy. Beating UM was just a one of the highlights of Mitchell’s career versus the Montana schools.

Linebacker McCarthy with his family
Anna Mills
LB McCarthy with his family

“It was such a great feeling knowing that we not only beat Montana my last year to play them, but we’ve swept the Montana schools the last three years I’ve been here and we are still undefeated on the red turf,” said Mitchell.

The Eagles will say goodbye to 20 seniors when the 2014-2015 season comes to an end, but there are memories and moments they will cherish forever.

“One thing I’ll cherish forever from [Baldwin] is that family atmosphere that we have here,” said senior defensive lineman Zach Johnson. “I think that it’s unique to us as a team, and that the intensity that we bring every day, whether it’s to practice or a meeting or a game, just the family atmosphere.”

Johnson, who’s twin brother was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in 2012, said seeing the success and struggles of his teammates makes all their success and brotherhood that much better.

Family played an important role for some seniors off the field as well.

Mitchell is a father of two young boys, and even though there were days trying to balance school, football and family, he credits his fiancée Atosha Granger and his mindset that in the end, all of his work will be worth it.

“It’s tough after a late night of practice to come home and get the boys dinner, a bath and ready for bed and then still have energy to do homework. I know that I am not the only student-athlete with a family, so I know it just takes a little bit more responsibility, but in the end it will all be worth it,” said Mitchell.

Mitchell said his favorite memory so far as an Eagle was when he caught two touchdowns against the University of Washington on his son Jhett’s birthday.

Defensive lineman  Johnson with his family
Anna Mills
DL Johnson with his family

As of November 2014, the Eagle seniors have had a three playoff appearances, three Big Sky Conference championship titles, 51 wins and, for a few, a national championship.

McCarthy credits his teammates that were a part of the championship team on passing down what they learned during their time in an Eastern jersey and said it was important to make sure to pass that on to the returning players

“Our class has been through a lot. We’re kind of the last leg of that national championship run-off,” said McCarthy. “We had those guys and now all the seniors have done a good job passing on the traditions that we learned and its important as seniors we do that. The young guys are picking it up and our class is a really strong class, and we’re going to go get it done next Saturday and win another Big Sky Championship.”

The seniors will play their final collegiate regular season game Nov. 21 against Portland State University.