Student population with flu vaccine less than half

By Shawntelle Moncy, Staff Writer

Flu season is just getting started and Eastern students have the opportunity to get their free flu shot from various locations in Cheney.

“College students, especially living on campus, are at high risk of catching the flu,” Tricia Hughes, director of Health, Wellness and Prevention Services at EWU, said.

This year’s flu vaccine will prevent four different strains of the disease, according to Hughes. Last year’s flu vaccine was a three-strain.

According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the flu vaccine preventing four different types of influenza is called the quadrivalent flu vaccine. This vaccine protects against two influenza A viruses and two influenza B viruses.
Rockwood gave out free flu shots to students on campus this month, the last one was given Nov. 12, but anyone can still schedule an appointment to receive their flu shot which is part the comprehensive health fee.

“When students come down with the flu, it can derail their entire quarter,” said Hughes.

Rockwood gave 889 flu shots last year, according to Hughes, and the vaccine was about 65 percent effective. On average, flu vaccines are anywhere between 65 to 95 percent effective.

There are other places students can receive their seasonal flu shots, such as Rite Aid, Bi-Mart, Safeway and Owl Pharmacy, but these flu shots can cost between $30 and $40, said Hughes.

In a survey given to Eastern students in the spring of 2014, about 45 percent of students received a flu shot.

Hughes describes why college students are prone to catch the flu, “A lot of college students aren’t getting enough sleep, their typically stressed out about school work or work, and stress reduces your immune system,” said Hughes. “They aren’t eating as healthy as they could be, and their entering into these class environments where you don’t know who was in there before you.”
The Cheney Rockwood Clinic is EWU’s Student Health Center and is located on 19 North Seventh Street and there is a nurse dedicated to strictly flu vaccine shots every Thursday, but Hughes said scheduling an appointment ahead of time is recommended because supplies may be limited.

Other ways to prevent the flu are to “practice frequent hand washing and use plenty of soap,” said Hughes. “Washing your hands for about 20 to 30 seconds, which is a lot longer than most people wash their hands.”

Other ways Hughes suggests to stay healthy is to cough into your arm and not your hands if you aren’t feeling well, to eat well, exercise and to get a good nights sleep.