Intramural paintball offered on campus

By Ayanna Fernandez, Staff Writer

EWU is unique among all other Washington universities in that paintballing is offered to all students.

According to Michael Campitelli, director for Campus Recreation, paintballing has quickly become very popular.

“When we started out last spring, we had a turnout of 20, maybe 30, people,” said Campitelli. “Now we’re … seeing a turnout of three times that.”

Paintball is free of charge and matches takes place in the PUB MPR or in The Phase and are offered throughout the entire spring quarter and only three times during the fall quarter.

Matthew Pipkin, a senior, has been working for the campus recreation center for a few years and has been in charge of running the paintballing activities since it has come to the campus.

In Pipkin’s opinion, paintballing is becoming so popular due to awareness.

“Paintballing becomes more fun when more people are involved,” said Pipkin. “So it’s advertised by word of mouth versus the billboards that people don’t really stop to read.”

Campitelli said he believes it is the availability of paintball that is helping the sport take off so quickly.

“With it being available only a few times during the fall quarter and not again until spring, people want to seize the opportunity to play when it is offered,” said Campitelli.

Paintballing is usually only offered on Fridays and Sundays. Campitelli said Fridays are more popular and have a larger turnout than Sundays.

According to Pipkin, paintball matches are played like Capture the Flag and are typically not more than five minutes. If a match does go longer than five minutes, officials are required to start a timer so each team knows how long they have left until the match is over.

“Typically five on five game unless there are a lot of people, we might bumped it up to seven on seven,” said Pipkin.

Pierre Borders , a junior, became involved in paintball his sophomore year of college and said it is fun and he is glad the sport was brought to the campus.

“It adds a new dimension to the campus,” said Borders.

Borders said he recommends for everyone to do it and it should remain a sport available to the students.

“Everyone should do it,” said Borders. “It’s new and it’s fun. I think the advisement needs to be better, but it’s definitely worth it.”