Abroad options explored at fair

Abroad options explored at fair

By Alex Miller, Staff Writer

The EWU study abroad fair showed the different options students have who aspire to study abroad in countries ranging from Costa Rica all the way to Australia.

The fair had several representatives from different companies that help send students abroad to give interested students a smooth introduction to studying abroad.

Elena Axton, a study abroad adviser for the Office of Global Initiatives at EWU, said, “We have a study abroad fair twice a year to help do outreach to our students about study abroad options that are available to them, so they can talk to program representatives that come to campus face to face. It’s their only chance to do that.”

Shelby Shanstorm, a junior who studied abroad in Spain, said, “As far as getting abroad, Eastern made it really easy. They really help you along.”

Axton said the fair has been successful in helping send students abroad.

“The fair is bigger, we have more programs that come to it than we used to because we’re sending more students abroad, so with that comes more students who are going [abroad],” she said.

To meet the eligibility criteria to study abroad, a student must be of sophomore standing or higher, have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and complete the EWU study abroad application, according to a study abroad flier.

Students who missed the fair can still receive  information from the Study Abroad Resource Center in Hargreaves Hall, or can attend the first meeting for the Study Abroad Association, a new club at Eastern.

The first meeting for the Study Abroad Association is on Nov. 12 in the Streeter LLC from 3:30- 5 p.m. Interested students can contact Jared Dineen at [email protected] about the study abroad association, or Axton at [email protected] for general study abroad information.