Eastern turns ‘spooktacular’ for Halloween campus events

By Carly Estey, Contributing Writer

In the midst of Spirit Week, EWU organizations will be hosting multiple Halloween events catering to students and local community members.

Eagle Entertainment invites students to join them for a Haunted Scavenger Hunt on Wednesday Oct. 29th from 4-6:00 p.m. in the Campus Mall. Following the scavenger hunt there will be a movie night in Showalter 109 at 7 p.m. featuring the movie “A Nightmare on Elm Street.”

On Halloween, EWU’s Office of Community Engagement will be teaming up with the Cheney fire department and Cheney Kiwanis to host Harvest Fest, a carnival and trick-or-treating campus tours for toddlers to fifth-grade children.

Tours begin at 3:30 p.m. in the Campus Mall and continue to 5 p.m. The carnival will run from 4-6 p.m. at the URC ice rink.

“[Harvest Fest] creates a wonderful, safe environment for kids,” said Eagle volunteers program coordinator Gabby Ryan. “It shows them that a college campus isn’t scary.”

The tour consists of seven locations around campus where EWU staff and faculty will be distributing candy to the costumed children.

According to Ryan, this student-staffed event reached its maximum capacity of 160 volunteers and there are 800 people projected to attend the event, including children, their siblings and their parents.

There will also be a Halloween Paintball Event on Halloween from 3-6 p.m. on the Intramural Fields, hosted by EWU Campus Recreation as part of Eagle Spirit Week. Students can visit the EWU Paintball website for more information on gear, fees and eligibility.