“Terror Trot” a runaway success for cross-country and track fundraiser

By Mike Hantho, Staff Writer

EWU’s track and cross-country teams hosted the Terror Trot Oct. 24.

The Terror Trot is a 5k running course that started and ended at Roos field.

According to cross-country head coach Chris Zeller, the Terror Trot is an event designed to bring people in the community together, raise funds for the track and cross-country teams and have fun with a Halloween-themed event.

Zeller said this is the second year for the event and said he hopes that each year will get better and more creative.

“It’s an entirely new course,” said Zeller. “Last year it was on the streets of Cheney, and still starts and finishes on Roos field. This year, it will be around the intramural fields, practice fields, generally staying on campus.”

Kelsey Mosier, a postgraduate, said the Terror Trot was a very fun and creative event.

“I liked how a lot of the track team dressed up like zombies,” said Mosier. “It was festive for Halloween and everyone was really motivating throughout the race.”

Mosier went on to say the run was not as scary as she had expected it to be, but still had its memorable moments, such as a tunnel where dressed up team members jumped out at runners to scare them.

Eric Rasmussen, assistant track coach, said the Terror Trot is a fun activity that gets better with each passing year.

“The athletes have fun scaring the runners,” said Rasmussen. “Everyone last year said they would do it again and this year a lot more people said the same.”

Rasmussen said each year the track and cross-country team are able to add more to the Terror Trot and make it more creative.

Joe Cordes, a senior, said it was a fun event to be a part of while also supporting the cross-country team.

“There wasn’t really a dull moment,” said Cordes. “People are scaring you, there are things to look at and be aware of. It was fun running on the field and the track. It definitely lived up to my expectations.”

Cordes also said he urges students to go out and support the track and cross country as much as possible and get involved with EWU events.