EWU Trustees board member elected as chairperson

By Aaron Bocook, Staff Writer

EWU’s board of trustees elected board member Jo Ann Kauffman as the new chairperson, replacing Paul Tanaka

“I was elated,” said Kauffman. “The September board meeting was chaired by Paul Tanaka, who served the last two years as chair, and that was his final meeting [as chair]. When he dropped the gavel and stepped aside, I became chair.”

According to Eastern’s website, the board of trustees serves as “the University’s governing body appointed by the governor with broad responsibilities to supervise, coordinate, manage and regulate Eastern Washington University as provided by state statute.”

The board, according to the website, consists of seven appointed trustees serving six-year terms, and one student trustee with a one-year term.

The chairperson, Kauffman said, makes sure operations go smoothly.

The chair and vice chair, according to Kauffman, are nominated and elected by the board and serve a one-year term, but each chair may serve more than one term.

Kauffman said the chair serves as the point of contact for the board of trustees and the university president. She said that even though all of the decisions and actions of the board are done as a group, it is the job of the chair to represent, interpret and carry out the decisions made.

“The most important thing really is to facilitate dialogue and exchange,” said Kauffman. “And to hear all of the voices on the board of trustees, and to run meetings so that there is ample time for questions, answers and quality decision making.”

Outgoing chair Paul Tanaka said Kauffman has a lot of experience on the board and he has no doubts in her ability to lead.

Tanaka said he enjoyed his time as chair and is especially proud of the board for completing the search for the new university president.  And for “weathering the budget deficits of the past several years.” Serving on the board is “an opportunity to work with some of the best and the brightest in higher education, all with a commitment to the ideals of EWU,”he said.

Though Tanaka said he had no advice to offer Kauffman on how to lead the board, Kaufman said she plans to lead with some of his quirks.

“One of the things that [Tanaka] did that was interesting was that he always came to campus a day early, ahead of the meetings, and he would go around and visit with key leadership on campus, just to create a bridge of communication between the board and leaders on campus,” said Kauffman. “I thought that was admirable, and I hope I can continue that.”

The next board of trustees meeting is scheduled for Nov. 21.