Remodel of PUB on the table

By Larry Ty Holmes, Opinion Editor

A potential Pence Union Building remodel has been on everyone’s mind lately and it’s coming back, even after a slight majority of Eastern students voted against it.

The ASEWU wants to try again from a different approach this year. Instead of pegging the student population with deciding to remodel the PUB or not, they are hanging back and letting us ask the questions.

In an interview, student president Dahir “D.J.” Jigre emphasized that he wants students to ask questions so that it can be made absolutely clear why there is a proposal for a remodel.

Last year, the student council made it apparent that a vote would be held on remodeling the PUB. The advertising was done efficiently, but there wasn’t a lot of conversation; this year there will be a campus conversation.

There is a page on the school’s website that addresses important reasons for a remodel.

Jigre elaborated that it would take two years to complete and that half the PUB would always be open to students.

The biggest issue is money. The money needed will be taken from student fees and is estimated to cost upwards of 30 million dollars. The implemented fee would be small, but it would still be there, said Jigre.

Money makes everyone hesitate, especially when the average student tuition for the state of Washington jumped 70 percent since 1970 and is continuing to climb, according to NPR.

Despite the money, ASEWU has a very serious list of benefits that come from a remodel. This remodel isn’t only about looking pretty, it’s about creating a safe, efficient and relaxing environment for students.

There are many things that one can complain about with the PUB. One can complain that it’s too much money and that the students shouldn’t be paying for it, or that it simply doesn’t need to be remodeled.

Regardless of how one feels about the PUB, there are problems that will need to be fixed or they will have to be maintained every year with student money.

Students should ask themselves whether they would like to pay for maintenance on the PUB or upgrade to a trouble-free remodel.

Everyone needs to do their research and start asking questions.