West looks to lead in Adams absence

Photo by Laura Lango

Vernon Adams Jr., quarterback for EWU, mindfully prepares a throw during the August 23 game against Sam Houston State University.

By Samuel Deal, Sports Editor

The Eagles will look to move past Southern Utah Thunderbirds without record setting quarterback Vernon Adams Jr.

Adams broke two bones in his right foot during the first half of the game against Idaho State University last week. He would go on to finish the game leading the Eagles to victory, 56-53.

“Obviously I feel for Vernon and the situation. But I’m extremely proud of his mental and physical toughness to battle through that game. That says more to me than anything else that he has done in his career up to this point,” said head Coach Beau Baldwin.

The injury will leave him sidelined for 3-6 weeks, according to goeags.com.

This will be the first time Adams hasn’t started a game for the Eagles since September of 2012. Sophomore Jordan West has been tabbed as his replacement moving forward.

“It is some big shoes to fill, and it is an unfortunate way that it happened but I’m excited to be the number one guy,” said West.

Adams is not the only key Eagle missing from the line-up; starting runningback Quincy Forte will be missing his third consecutive game with a shoulder injury.

Even without two of their top players, Eastern still has a very deep team at the skill positions and according to Adams, that will help West in his first career start.

“These guys are going to make plays for him, just like they do for me. Give them a little 5-yard hitch and let them do the work, Everybody will be fine.”

According to sophomore wide receiver Kendrick Bourne, who has played with West in practice, ‘J-Weezy’ will be ready to play Saturday.

“J-Weezy is a pocket-passer and if they can give him some time, I know he can get the ball out.”

The team will travel to Cedar City, Utah on Oct. 11 to face SUU. The last time Eastern faced the Thunderbirds on the road was the last time EWU lost a conference game.

The Eagles will be looking to continue their 12 game Conference winning streak. Southern Utah is 1-5 this season but 1-1 in conference play and will be looking to throw the first time starter off his game.

“Being second string you’ve got to prepare like your number one, because at anytime you could be the guy,” said West. “ It’s exciting get to go in there [to SUU] and hopefully come out with a [Win].”