Develop a craving for Craven’s coffee

By Elsa Schmitz, Opinion Editor

Finding a good cup of joe on the EWU campus is about as hard as finding a needle in the haystack.

I’ve gotten coffee from every coffee stand on campus, searching for that perfect hot mocha on a cold winter day or a refreshing iced coffee when it’s hot enough to fry eggs on my car’s dash. I like my coffee sweet, and finding a place that mixes everything just so is hard to find.

Thankfully, there are lots of options open to students at EWU. On campus, there are shops that house Thomas Hammer coffee, Craven’s coffee, Oregon Chai and Starbucks-owned coffee, including Starbucks and Seattle’s Best coffees.

Most of the coffee available to students is owned by the global chain, Starbucks. However, Thomas Hammer, Craven’s coffee and Oregon Chai are local or small-business owned coffees. While I admit that Starbucks is convenient, it is important to remember that there are local options that we, as a community, should be supporting.

Not only are these alternatives local, but they happen to serve delicious coffee and treats as well. Thomas Hammer, for instance, is based out of Spokane. This company serves wonderful coffee and attempts to purchase most of their products in the Pacific Northwest.

Why is this important my fellow coffee mates? Supporting local businesses will help our local economy. You have every right to purchase other goods from Starbucks and other global or national chains, but think of the small businesses every once in a while.

A little support can go a long way in revitalizing the Cheney and Spokane economies. Especially if the businesses you frequent attempt to purchase most of their products from the surrounding areas.

So next time you feel that craving for a venti white mocha with hazelnut, think of the underdogs before heading to the local Starbucks.

Illustration by Elsa Schmitz
Illustration by Elsa Schmitz