A variety of clubs suit a diverse student population

By Shannon Bedell, Eagle Life Writer

The EWU Rodeo Team shows off some of their skills. Photo Credit Laura Ueckert Jones

EWU offers plenty of ways for students to get involved with over 160 different campus clubs.

Clubs include sports clubs to greek life, academic, school spirit and pre-professional clubs.

The clubs at EWU allow students to explore new talents and areas of interest. If there is a club that cannot be found on campus, one can be started with some help from the Student Activities, Involvement and Leadership office. Clubs that remain active for two years and meet the criteria can receive funding from ASEWU.

Lillian Do-Tran, Activities Specialist with the Student Activities, Involvement and Leadership, said, “Some of our most active clubs are the business clubs, honors societies, sports and technology clubs. Clubs allow students to get involved and explore lots of different interests.”

The Equestrian Team was established in 2012 and offers members the chance to compete, as well as take lessons from professionals in the Spokane area in Western and Hunt Seat disciplines. The team is an affiliated competitive team with the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association.

“2013 will be the first competitive season for the team. We hope to keep gaining members and eventually be able to host our own shows,” said Equestrian Team president Allison Burke.

Competitors in the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association do not have to own their own horse. Shows are hosted by teams in the region and all horses are provided by the host school. Riders do not get to ride their assigned horses prior to their class. There is a drawing to assign riders to their horse prior to the start of the show.

Another equestrian related club is the re-established  Rodeo Team. The Rodeo team was prominent in the 1990s at Eastern. Since its re-establishment in Spring 2013 it has reined in a lot of support throughout the community.

Rodeo Team President Donaye Smith said, “We have gained a lot of local sponsors and have great support from the community, making us confident going into the upcoming season.”

Members of the Rodeo Team compete against colleges in Washington, Idaho and Oregon in events such as roping, goat tying, saddle broncs, and bull riding. Any student can participate regardless of experience, and gives members the opportunity to practice as well as travel to competitions.

Their first competition of the year will be in Ontario, Ore., hosted by Treasure Valley Community College Oct. 18-20.

There are a variety of sports clubs on campus. The Bowling Club offers the chance for students to get together and bowl at Cheney Lanes. The team started with a group of students who had competed in bowling in high school but now has many beginner bowlers.

“It’s awesome getting beginners. We get to see how greatly they improve over the year,” said Bowling Club President Danielle Terrell.

Eagle Ambassadors is are the official hosts and hostesses of EWU.. The Eagle Ambassadors have been around since the 1980s and are the official hosts and hostesses of EWU. Some of the Fall events they host are Eagle Previews, Homecoming, tour and student panels.

“Many people, like myself, joined to be a tour guide. I love Eastern and wanted to be able to share my passion with other students and promote Eastern to future students,” said Cassie Brazell, Eagle Ambassadors president.

Eagle Ambassadors also participate in many social events and philanthropic activities. Like many clubs on campus, Eagle Ambassadors holds regular meetings and is open to all students.

Students might look for a club that they can identify with such as the Hui O’Hawaii club. The majority of its members are from Hawaii but it is open to all students.

Kaulana McKee, Hui O’Hawaii’s Public Relations officer said, “The  club was initially started to give students at EWU from Hawaii the chance to get together. The club offers a home away from home. We are like a family. The club gives us a chance to get together, relax and connect to others at Eastern.”

For a full list of clubs on campus and how to get involved visit the Clubs and Activities page on EWU.edu or see the Student Activities, Involvement and Leadership office in PUB 320.