Eagles drop first game of season to winless Rockets

By Galen Rock, Sports Editor

After two impressive wins in consecutive weeks, one being against a ranked Oregon state team, Eastern Washington was looking to make a statement and notch another FBS win against the winless Toledo Rockets at the Glass Bowl in Toledo, Ohio.

What they got instead was sticky coverage from the Rockets, an indecisive Vernon Adams and a defense that got lit up by the Rockets to the tune of 325 yards rushing. All of this factored in caused the Eagles to drop their first game of the season 33-21, falling to 2-1 for the season.

After getting off to a hot start and completing 11 of 12 of his passes for 143 yards on the first two drives, Adams (21 of 41, 326 passing yards, three touchdowns and one interception) struggled to get much of anything going. At one point in the third quarter Adams was 2 of 11 after his scintillating start. Adams and the offense were completely out of rhythm despite how impressive his stat line looked.

Much of that had to do with the Rockets, who made the proper adjustments throughout the game and kept the Eagles completely on their heels.

This was the case for the Eastern defense as well. Toledo’s David Fluellen (143 rush yards and two touchdowns) and Bernard Reedy (112 receiving yards and one touchdown) were both huge factors and provided a dynamic one-two punch from the Rockets.

Both players stepped up after Toledo’s starting quarterback Terrance Owens was carted off the field in the second quarter with an apparent knee injury. Owens was replaced by freshman quarterback Logan Woodside (185 passing yards and one touchdown) who performed admirably for the Rockets and led his team to their first win of the season.

Toledo will try to get back to .500 next week against the Central Michigan Chippewas. Eastern will be off a week and resumes play Sept. 28 at Sam Houston State, the team that knocked them out of last year’s FCS playoffs.