Dr. Charles Lopez starts as vice provost in July

By Lorna Hartman, Staff Writer

Dr. Charles Lopez, the incoming vice provost, has worked with university students in various capacities since his own graduation in 1987,

Dr. Charles Lopez, new EWU vice provost
Dr. Charles Lopez, new EWU vice provost

according to his résumé.

“My roots are working with the students,” said Lopez. “My background is in counseling. I think you’ll see that my roots are definitely in making connections with the students.”

Lopez said that he and his family will move here from Texas sometime between July and early September.

“My family enjoys the outdoors,” said Lopez. His wife, Angela Lopez, has a master’s degree in counseling and currently homeschools their three youngest children. Their eldest, Justin Lopez, is 22.

His son Logan, 14, is an Eagle Scout who will be coming in as a dual-credit Running Start student; his son Nathan, 10, is also involved in Scouts; and his daughter Anna Ruth is 7.

According to Charles Lopez, he and his wife enjoy the performing arts and musicals, among other things. “Our family’s fairly musical,” said Charles Lopez. “My wife plays the trumpet. My second oldest [Logan] plays the drums. Nathan is learning the guitar, and Anna Ruth is ready for piano now. Our oldest [Justin] plays the trombone.”

They enjoy the oldies, according to Charles Lopez, and their radio stations at home are usually playing Christian music or country.

“We’re going to sound like Texans. All the stereotypes,” Charles Lopez said. The Lopez family also loves Mexican food, Chinese food and pizza.

Charles Lopez said that he and his family stay involved with their local community wherever they are. “We focus on family and on continuing those family values and wanting to be engaged in things that support those values,” he said. “We’re looking forward to the Eastern football and basketball students too.”

His community involvement includes ongoing church work ranging from preschool teaching to the planning committee. He has worked with the Scouts organization and has served on the Mayor’s Committee on People with Disabilities and the Governor’s Committee on People with Disabilities.

EWU President Dr. Rodolfo Arévalo said, “I believe that Dr. [Charles] Lopez will provide great leadership in the area of student retention and [will] promote excellence in undergraduate education at Eastern. He comes to us with a great deal of experience in student support services.”

According to Rex Fuller, provost and vice president of academic affairs, Stephen F. Austin State University’s student profile is similar to EWU’s profile. “Dr. [Charles] Lopez’s experience with programming in student affairs and his work on student success and transitional issues will be an asset,” Fuller said.

Charles Lopez comes to EWU from Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. His numerous positions there include teaching and thesis advising, counseling and career services, student employment and disability services.

He has also worked in higher education administration at Tulane University and Utah State University and has over 20 years of experience in senior leadership positions. His master’s dissertation focused on factors affecting the academic success of veterans.

“I look forward to working with him as we continue to create more success initiatives for our students,” Arévalo said.

Charles Lopez spoke about his interview visit to EWU and about how much he enjoyed meeting faculty and staff who were dedicated to student success. “It is evident that students are the number one priority at Eastern,” Charles Lopez said. “I look forward to my arrival on campus and to becoming a part of the ‘Start Something Big’ team.”