SCC recognizes International Women’s Day

Keynote speaker Idella King addressing the audience members. King shared the cultural history and heritage of her tribe.

Mckenzie Ford

Mckenzie Ford

Mckenzie Ford

By Marco Vargas, Reporter

Spokane Community College celebrated International Women’s Day on March 9 by hosting an event that featured workshops and a keynote speaker named Idella King, an activist for indigenous women. Shannon Ketcham, chair of the event in Spokane in her first year, said that the purpose of the event was to focus on a rich culture and share it with the Spokane community.

“International Women’s Day is celebrated in the United States and globally every year,” Ketcham said. “It’s a wonderful way to celebrate the political, economic, social and cultural achievements of women throughout the world both past and present. We really want to be able to build off our rich history with this event.”

Ketcham said that International Women’s Day is an opportunity to highlight the progress that women have experienced.

We still have a journey to make as women in this country and globally. There are still many unfortunate areas of inequality and inequity and disparity. I think if we continue to share our voice, we’ll continue to hopefully close those gaps.”

— Shannon Ketcham, SCC manager of student programs

“It’s also an amazing way for us to recognize the journey that we still have as women toward equity, equality, and celebrating our uniqueness,” Ketcham said. “It’s important for me to be able to honor the history. It’s significant for me to recognize where I come from. It’s a great opportunity to use my voice to empower and support women in Spokane.”

Ketcham thinks that to support equal rights for women, the U.S. should continue offering a voice with a volume.

“We still have a journey to make as women in this country and globally,” Ketcham said. “There are still many unfortunate areas of inequality and inequity and disparity. I think if we continue to share our voice, we’ll continue to hopefully close those gaps.”

Ketcham said that this year’s event at SCC was outstanding and that the keynote speaker, along with her family, was the special part.

“Idella King and her family came to share the rich cultural history and heritage of the people of their tribe,” Ketcham said. “For them to share their story was special.”

Ketcham said that spreading the word can make the event more valuable at SCC.

“I think the more people of the Spokane community who know about this event and the more that we get community involvement and support, the bigger that the event is going to be,” Ketcham said. “I’m really excited to continue to build on those partnerships.”

Ketcham said that she feels grateful and honored to be a part of the event and that she hopes to continue with the success in years to come.

“I think that the message of empowerment, healing and the community was great for our event,” Ketcham said. “This has been a really tremendous opportunity to see what community in action looks like. I’d like to thank everyone who participated for shedding a light on this event and for helping to put the word out.”

About the Photographer
1 Comment

One Response to “SCC recognizes International Women’s Day”

1. Shannon Ketcham on March 14th, 2019 10:17 pm

One piece that I would like to add to the lens and focus of this story that is not fully highlighted is that the keynote, Idella King, and her family brought forward a deeply personal and powerful story of generational trauma, a journey towards healing, and bringing attention and awareness to the issue of missing and murdered indigenous women in this region and throughout the U.S.

• SCC recognizes International Women’s Day

Audio

Monthly roundup podcast (February)

News

EWU’s CAMP boosts awareness for migrant students

News

EWU cybersecurity club wins Cyber Cup

News

Childcare costs are not cheap for student parents

News

Pearce Hall’s sexual assault suspect arrested

News

EWU interim dean of libraries killed in crash near Cheney

News

Conservative speaker Ben Shapiro coming to Gonzaga

News

Eagle Store hosts grand reopening in PUB

News

ROTC cadet to attend George C. Marshall leadership seminar

News

Rifle training course returns to EWU