SCC recognizes International Women’s Day

Keynote speaker Idella King addressing the audience members. King shared the cultural history and heritage of her tribe.

Mckenzie Ford

Mckenzie Ford

Mckenzie Ford

By Marco Vargas, Reporter

Spokane Community College celebrated International Women’s Day on March 9 by hosting an event that featured workshops and a keynote speaker named Idella King, an activist for indigenous women. Shannon Ketcham, chair of the event in Spokane in her first year, said that the purpose of the event was to focus on a rich culture and share it with the Spokane community.

“International Women’s Day is celebrated in the United States and globally every year,” Ketcham said. “It’s a wonderful way to celebrate the political, economic, social and cultural achievements of women throughout the world both past and present. We really want to be able to build off our rich history with this event.”

Ketcham said that International Women’s Day is an opportunity to highlight the progress that women have experienced.

We still have a journey to make as women in this country and globally. There are still many unfortunate areas of inequality and inequity and disparity. I think if we continue to share our voice, we’ll continue to hopefully close those gaps.”

— Shannon Ketcham, SCC manager of student programs

“It’s also an amazing way for us to recognize the journey that we still have as women toward equity, equality, and celebrating our uniqueness,” Ketcham said. “It’s important for me to be able to honor the history. It’s significant for me to recognize where I come from. It’s a great opportunity to use my voice to empower and support women in Spokane.”

Ketcham thinks that to support equal rights for women, the U.S. should continue offering a voice with a volume.

“We still have a journey to make as women in this country and globally,” Ketcham said. “There are still many unfortunate areas of inequality and inequity and disparity. I think if we continue to share our voice, we’ll continue to hopefully close those gaps.”

Ketcham said that this year’s event at SCC was outstanding and that the keynote speaker, along with her family, was the special part.

“Idella King and her family came to share the rich cultural history and heritage of the people of their tribe,” Ketcham said. “For them to share their story was special.”

Ketcham said that spreading the word can make the event more valuable at SCC.

“I think the more people of the Spokane community who know about this event and the more that we get community involvement and support, the bigger that the event is going to be,” Ketcham said. “I’m really excited to continue to build on those partnerships.”

Ketcham said that she feels grateful and honored to be a part of the event and that she hopes to continue with the success in years to come.

“I think that the message of empowerment, healing and the community was great for our event,” Ketcham said. “This has been a really tremendous opportunity to see what community in action looks like. I’d like to thank everyone who participated for shedding a light on this event and for helping to put the word out.”

About the Photographer
1 Comment

One Response to “SCC recognizes International Women’s Day”

1. Shannon Ketcham on March 14th, 2019 10:17 pm

One piece that I would like to add to the lens and focus of this story that is not fully highlighted is that the keynote, Idella King, and her family brought forward a deeply personal and powerful story of generational trauma, a journey towards healing, and bringing attention and awareness to the issue of missing and murdered indigenous women in this region and throughout the U.S.

• SCC recognizes International Women’s Day

News

Barb Richey selected as new VP for University Advancement

News

The Easterner & ASEWU connect media and politics

News

Green Dog wins EWU Eagles’ Nest Pitch Contest

News

Washington strides toward affirmative action laws

News

EWU professors win grant for microbe research

News

EWU launches new online MBA

News

EWU faces $3.6 million budget gap

News

ASEWU PR specialist removed from position

• News

Special Olympics Spring Games held at Roos Field

News

EWU teams dominate Corporate Cup at Bloomsday