Pearce Hall’s sexual assault suspect arrested

Pearce Hall, located on Elm Street, is the largest residence hall at EWU. The sexual assault reportedly took place inside of Pearce Hall on March 2.

The Easterner Archives

The Easterner Archives

The Easterner Archives

By Nicolas Zerbe, Reporter

EWU campus police have made an arrest in connection to reports of a sexual assault which took place Saturday, March 2 in Pearce Hall.

In an email sent to EWU students, Chief Tim Walters stated the department was made aware of the situation, which was reported shortly after midnight.

The suspect was seen at an off-campus Kappa Sigma party earlier in the evening, though no arrest was made that night.

On Tuesday, March 5, Walters sent a follow-up email stating a person of interest had been identified and arrested.

“Our detective and our officers conducted an investigation, identified a suspect and made an arrest,” said Deputy Chief Jay Day. “He’s currently booked in Spokane County Jail.”

It’s unclear at this time if the victim knew the perpetrator.

According to the most recent crime statistics, courtesy of the 2017 Annual Security and Fire Safety (Clery) Report, there were six total on-campus and residential facilities rapes in 2017 and two cases of what the report calls fondling.

The original email, sent by Walters, also included safety tips for students on campus, advising them to lock their residence hall rooms, and reminding students that it is a crime to intentionally touch someone without their consent, regardless of the situation.

Students may also contact the EWUPD at any time for an on-campus safety escort by calling 509-359-7676.