Eagle Store hosts grand reopening in PUB

Employees+at+the+Eagle+Store%2C+EWU%27s+bookstore%2C+ringing+up+and+assisting+customers.+The+Eagle+Store+now+sells+its+books+right+off+the+shelves+instead+of+online+only.+

Employees at the Eagle Store, EWU's bookstore, ringing up and assisting customers. The Eagle Store now sells its books right off the shelves instead of online only.

Bailey Monteith

Bailey Monteith

Bailey Monteith

By Marco Vargas, Reporter

The unveiling of a statue of Swoop, EWU’s mascot, presented a brand new beginning for the Eagle Store during its grand reopening on Feb. 27.

Business has been doing well for the Eagle Store since it moved back into the PUB this past January after its remodel, according to Devon Tinker, the Eagle Store director. She said that business feels different from two years prior when the PUB had its old version of the store. She said that the foot traffic is part of the difference and that there were long lines in the store.

“People would get off the bus and come through the building,” Tinker said. “We don’t have that movement.”

Lynne Junge, the assistant director, said that it’s nice having the foot traffic come through the coffee shop, which is a new feature that the  EWU dining service runs inside the Eagle Store. Tinker said that the coffee shop is a draw-in for students.

“I think the Eagle Store is now busier in the PUB than when it was back in Anderson Hall,” said Kristin Zitterkopf, the marketing manager.

Bailey Monteith
The new fiberglass statue of Swoop, EWU’s jmascot, in the Eagle Store. The Eagle Store is located on the first floor of the PUB.

According to Tinker, students have been highly attracted to the new version of the Eagle Store. She mentioned that a student was praising the store with her parents one afternoon.

“I was just leaving and she goes, ‘Oh my goodness, the store is so pretty and beautiful and they have cool things.’ And then they talked about our merchandise a lot,” Tinker said.

Tinker said that she was excited to see the Eagle Store return home to the PUB, saying that it looks so much better in the new building than in the old building.

“The old PUB had been our home since 1995,” Tinker said. “But it’s glamourous here now. It’s a beautiful and clean building. We can show our products off so much better than in our old store. It is really nice.”

Student success is a big deal to us. We can do whatever we can to provide the tools that they need to be successful in life.”

— Sherri Rowe, assistant manager

Tinker said she hopes that the new store will be kept cleaner, including having polished floors.

“Carpeting gets old and tired,” Tinker said. “That last carpeting in the PUB was like 20 years old. It was icky. It took on its age and countertops have changed so much. In the old store, we had old gray laminate that would wear off. (In the new store), there is no wearing. It will always be white.”

Tinker and the rest of the staff are expecting a big improvement, including getting back to installing fun activities, which they did in the old store.

“We’ve done Valentine cards and Christmas decorations in the past,” Tinker said. “And we’ve done children’s programs. We’re really excited to return to that because that’s part of the community. I personally can’t wait for football season. (Students) are spending money because they want to wear Eastern gear (during football games).”

Tinker mentioned that the Eagle Store and the Inferno Team Shop, which is located at Roos Field, are very busy during football seasons.

Tinker and her staff want everyone to know that they will always be in support of students and all of EWU at the Eagle Store.

“Student success is a big deal to us,” assistant manager Sherri Rowe said. “We can do whatever we can to provide the tools that they need to be successful in life.”

With the Eagle Store now back in the PUB, students can go back to searching for textbooks on the shelves instead of walking to a computer and ordering them online like they had to do when the store was in Anderson Hall for two years.

For more information, visit bookstore.ewu.edu. The Eagle Store is located on the first floor in PUB 116.