Jason Hennig earns Cadet Command Instructor of the year

EWU Army ROTC website

Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Stafford (left)shaking hands with Sergeant First Class Jason Hennig (right). Hennig was awarded the Bronze de Fleury medla this past January.

By Nicolas Zerbe, Reporter

An EWU Reserve Officer Training Corps instructor has been recognized as the 2018 U.S. Army Cadet Command NCO Instructor of the Year.

Sergeant First Class Jason Hennig, EWU’s ROTC military science instructor and training NCO, was chosen for the prestigious award in which 274 ROTC battalions across the country were competing.

He’s involved in the community, the campus as well as being a good instructor.”

Competition

Every year a competition is held for the top officer instructor and NCO instructor, with thousands of enlisted instructors entering.

Each ROTC program chooses only one instructor to participate. This year, Hennig was chosen by EWU.

In order to enter, a packet containing accomplishments by the instructor is first sent to the ROTC brigade at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, where a winner among instructors across the western U.S. is selected.

After winning there, Hennig was able to compete against all other ROTC programs nationwide.

Qualifications

Along with video of Hennig teaching, his packet listed accomplishments and activities including his role in planning and leading the German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge test last November.

Hennig also helped to train his ROTC cadets on the ranger challenge team, which competes against other ROTC programs in the region and who took first place in four of 11 events this year.

Hennig’s cadets also scored 15 percent higher than average in Advanced Camp at Fort Knox, where they are tested on various basic soldier skills like marksmanship, leadership and physical fitness.

Outside of his cadet training, Hennig runs a Boy Scouts den in Spokane, has guest lectured for EWU’s Women and Gender Studies department and has presented as a motivational speaker for the women’s soccer team.

“He’s involved in the community, the campus as well as being a good instructor,” said Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan C. Stafford, EWU ROTC’s department chair.

Inspiration

Hennig first joined the military to follow his brother, who is currently deployed in Afghanistan.

“He came in four years ahead of me, I saw just how many doors it opened for him and he’s always been my biggest role model,” said Hennig. “I’ll continue to follow him the rest of my life.”

Hennig will now go into a larger competition where he will contend for Instructor of the Year for Training and Doctrine Command, which oversees training of all army forces in the U.S.