Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist ministry partakes in Ashes to Go event

Courtesy of Grant Whittey

Courtesy of Grant Whittey

Courtesy of Grant Whittey

By Michael Brock, Editor in Chief

For the fourth year, The Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist Campus Ministry at EWU will be participating in Ashes to Go.

The annual event, which is part of a larger national movement, occurs on Ash Wednesday. For the many Christians who participate, Ash Wednesday marks the first day of Lent, the six weeks of repentance that precedes Easter Sunday. During this time, participants will often give up something in their life to prioritize their relationship with God.

ELM will be in the PUB from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on March 6 to celebrate Ash Wednesday.

“(On Ash Wednesday) we are reminded that we come from dust, and to dust we shall return,” said Rev. Christie Soule, the Episcopal Campus Pastor.

The EWU Catholic Newman Center will also participate in Ash Wednesday on March 6 in the PUB NCR. Ash distribution is at 12:10 p.m., while mass will be at 5:30 p.m.

Courtesy of Grant Whittey

The ELM Campus Ministry meets every Monday at 5 p.m. at the Emmanuel Lutheran Church a couple blocks from campus. They begin with a free, home cooked meal followed by “an activity, which usually isn’t directly related to religion, but rather personal growth and acceptance,” said Braden House, a senior at EWU and a Peer Minister at ELM.

“We’re the only inclusive faith ministry on campus,” House said. “I feel that what puts us apart from other people mostly, is that we accept and approve everybody who wants to come in here, regardless if they’re religious or not. We’ve had Buddhists in here, we’ve had atheists, we get everyone. We don’t push stuff on them because we try to keep a pretty neutral program going.”

(On Ash Wednesday) we are reminded that we come from dust, and to dust we shall return.”

House said that ELM’s program this term is based around guest speakers. On Feb. 25, the ministry had Nick Franco, the Pride Center Manager, as a guest. After feasting on pancakes, waffles, eggs, fruit and coffee cake, the group listened and engaged with Franco in a discussion on gender identity and promoting social justice initiatives.

“(Guest speakers) educate them, help them become better leaders and (encourage them) to speak up on campus,” Soule said.

A couple weeks ago, ELM had someone from Wells Fargo come in and discuss financial advisement. In a week or two they’ll have a guest speaker from Camp Cross, who will talk about outreach programs and participating in the community, House said.

“They mix fun with actual information,” said senior Kevin Torres, who has been attending ELM meetings for three years. “There’s new food to eat, obviously. But also there’s new things to do, new things to learn. We do a lot of volunteer work, mission trips, that kind of thing. So it’s a lot of actual experience. That’s what I like about it.”

ELM has been around the past four years and has been doing the dinners since the beginning. All three churches work together to provide the home cooked meals. House is celiac and can’t eat gluten, but says ELM does a good job of accommodating.

Former EWU student Ben Fischer is not religious but has been going to ELM meetings for a little over a year. Fischer says that the atmosphere at ELM makes him feel welcome.

“It’s super open and accepting,” Fischer said. “Regardless of what you believe or who you are, you can come in here and feel accepted and talk about any issues you know you might have within your own faith. Or if you have questions about their faith, they’re super open to answer them.”•

About the Writer
Michael Brock, Editor in Chief

Michael Brock is The Easterner’s Editor in Chief. Brock, a senior studying journalism, was born and raised in Petersburg, Alaska. He is in his second...