Early look at the 2020 presidential candidates

President Donald Trump delivering a speech at a campaign rally in Phoenix. Trump will be seeking his second term as president in 2020.

Courtesy of Gage Skidmore

Courtesy of Gage Skidmore

Courtesy of Gage Skidmore

By Nicolas Zerbe, Reporter

Courtesy of sanders.senate.gov
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

The 2020 presidential race has already begun, with several prominent Democrats and at least one Republican already throwing their names into the ring.

Although there will certainly be many more names to add to the list throughout the year, these are the ones who have either declared or formed exploratory committees, a process which allows candidates to begin fundraising.

*All information and photos are courtesy of ballotpedia.org.

Elizabeth Warren (D)

Warren is a Massachusetts senator who announced her plan to form an exploratory committee on Dec. 31, 2018, and made her candidacy official on Feb. 9, 2019.

Warren has served as the chair of the Congressional Oversight Panel for the Troubled Asset Relief Program, helped to create the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and was asked by President Obama to set up the new agency as assistant to the President and special advisor to the Secretary of Treasury.

Before serving as a senator, Warren was a Harvard Law School professor.

“This is the fight of our lives. The fight to build an America that works for everyone, not just the wealthy and the well-connected,” says Warren’s candidacy website. “It won’t be easy. But united by our values, we can make big, structural change. We can raise our voices together until this fight is won.”

Tulsi Gabbard (D)

The first Hindu elected to Congress, Gabbard represents Hawaii’s 2nd Congressional District in the House and announced her candidacy for president on Jan. 11, 2019.

Gabbard is a military veteran who served two tours of duty in the Middle East during her time with the National Guard.

“When we listen to each other with a clear mind and an open heart, we will heal the divide and build a majority coalition around our common values of service above self, freedom, justice, love for country, prosperity and peace,” says Gabbard’s candidacy website. “When we act out of compassion for each other and love for our country and the earth, we will rediscover the joy of serving a higher purpose, together.”

Cory Booker (D)

Announcing on Feb. 1, 2019, Booker is a New Jersey senator first elected in 2013 after the death of Sen. Frank Lautenberg and re-elected for a full term in 2014.

Before becoming a senator, Booker served as Newark’s mayor and had a seat on its city council before that.

Booker was rated the third most liberal senator in 2017 based on his voting record, according to the New York Times.

“The lines that divide us are nowhere near as strong as the ties that bind us. When we join together and work together—we will rise together,” says Booker’s candidacy website.

Julian Castro (D)

Castro is the former U.S. secretary of housing and urban development under President Obama and served previously as the mayor of San Antonio.

Castro announced on Jan. 12, 2019.

“If we want to see change, we don’t wait for it, we work toward it,” says Castro’s candidacy website. “Today, more than ever, we must work together to build an America where everyone—no matter who we are or where we come from—can thrive. Working together, I believe we can build a new promise for ourselves and for our future.”

John Delaney (D)

Delaney announced his run for presidency on July 28, 2017, and said that he would not seek re-election for his seat in the House of Representatives, representing Maryland’s 6th Congressional District.

Delaney has been a member of the House since Nov. 6, 2012.

Before beginning his career in Congress, Delaney founded two New York Stock Exchange companies, as well as a Maryland nonprofit.

“Americans deserve a leader who will unite our divided nation and turn big ideas—that address present day and future challenges and opportunities—into real solutions,” says Delaney’s candidacy website. “More than just talking points, these are some of the things my administration will prioritize to create a future that is more prosperous, more secure, and more just for you and your family.”

Kirsten Gillibrand (D)

Announcing on Jan. 15, 2019, Gillibrand is a U.S. senator from New York, first elected in 2010.

Before her senatorial election, Gillibrand was an attorney, campaign staffer, law clerk and special counsel to the secretary of housing and urban development.

“Kirsten is getting ready to run for president, and she will fight for you and your family as hard as she does for her own,” says Gillibrand’s candidacy website. “We’re building a new kind of campaign—bold in our ideas, clear in our convictions and committed to making change. It all depends on this team coming together to build a movement with the courage, compassion and determination to take on President Trump. Are you in?”

Kamala Harris (D)

Harris is a California senator, first elected in 2016, and the first Indian-American and second black woman to serve as a senator. She announced her candidacy on Jan. 21, 2019.

Before her role as a senator, Harris was the attorney general of California, holding the position from 2011 to 2017.

“Kamala Harris has spent her entire life defending our American values,” says Harris’ candidacy website. “From fighting to fix our broken criminal justice system to taking on the Wall Street banks for middle class homeowners, Kamala has always worked For The People.”

Amy Klobuchar (D)

Announcing on Feb. 10, 2019, Klobuchar is a member of the U.S. Senate from Minnesota, first elected in 2006.

Klobuchar was previously mentioned as a possible Supreme Court nominee, as was a Minnesota based attorney before her election to the Senate.

“Our campaign is powered by your grassroots support,” says Klobuchar’s candidacy website. “Amy’s working hard to bring Americans together and find solutions for the challenges we face. For Amy, this campaign is about bringing people together to get things done.”

Marianne Williamson (D)

Williamson is a lecturer and New York Times Best Selling author, who ran for office in the U.S. House as an independent in 2014.

She announced her candidacy on Jan. 28, 2019.

Pete Buttigieg (D)

Buttigieg announced his candidacy for president on Jan. 23, 2019, and is the current mayor of South Bend, Indiana.

“It’s time for a new generation of American leadership,” says Buttigieg’s candidacy website.

Andrew Yang (D)

Yang is an American entrepreneur who announced his candidacy on Nov. 6, 2017.

“Together we can build a new type of economy,” says Yang’s candidacy website. “One that puts people first.”

Bernie Sanders (D)

Sanders is joining the presidential race for the second time, having announced his candidacy on Feb. 19, 2019.

Sanders has held a Senate seat since 2007, first as a Democrat, and in 2018 as an Independent, though he caucuses with the Democrats.

“No one candidate, not even the greatest candidate you could imagine, is capable of taking on Donald Trump and the billionaire class alone,” says Sanders’ candidacy website. “There is only one way we win— and that is together.”

William Weld (R)

Weld was the governor of Massachusetts from 1991 to 1997, and a previous Libertarian vice presidential candidate.

Weld is the only Republican currently opposing President Trump, having formed an exploratory committee on Feb. 15, 2019.

Donald Trump (R)

Trump is a former businessman and the current president of the U.S., having assumed office on Jan. 20, 2018, and filed for re-election the same day.

“We will make America strong again,” says Trump’s official campaign website. “We will make America proud again. We will make America safe again. And we will make America great again.”