Days of Kindness returns to EWU

Senior+Angelina+DeGrazia+celebrates+Days+of+Kindness+in+2016.+Students+were+given+balloons+with+challenges+to+spread+kindness+across+campus.+

Courtesy of Easterner Archives

Senior Angelina DeGrazia celebrates Days of Kindness in 2016. Students were given balloons with challenges to spread kindness across campus.

By Kaisa Siipola, Reporter

Besides spreading the love on Valentine’s Day, EWU is spreading kindness to the campus community.

EWU’s seventh annual Days of Kindness kicks off during the week of Feb. 19 to Feb. 22 with several events planned.

Days of Kindness is hosted in remembrance of the 26 victims in the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting, after which journalist Ann Curry challenged everyone to do an act of kindness each day for 26 days in February. EWU took its own tradition with it by dedicating a week instead of 26 days, according to student aid Edith Claro.

The purpose of these events is to challenge and encourage students to spread kindness and positivity to each other, and make campus a safe and welcoming environment for everyone.

Elizabeth Brown, a senior majoring in social work, said that volunteering at Days of Kindness will help her get community service hours through the Office of Community Engagement.

Though she has seen members of the OOCE at tabling events, this will be Brown’s first time volunteering with them.

Brown says that the event is a really good way to emphasize the importance of being kind to one another.

There will be a balloon challenge located in the PUB Lobby on Feb. 19 from 10:30 a.m. to noon where the OOCE will hand students a balloon with a challenge, such as smiling or talking to someone new, and asking them to send pictures of what they have completed to the OOCE.

During a service project on Feb. 20, students can make care packages at the EWU Spokane Campus on the first floor of the lobby from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. A Thank You Cards and Toys for Scraps event will be held in PUB 329 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Feb. 21.

On Feb. 22 will be a Origin Tribute to let people know why Days of Kindness exists on campus located in the PUB Lobby from 10 a.m. to noon.

Anyone who has any questions or is interested in volunteering can contact the Office of Community Engagement at [email protected].