Cheney ranks as 11th safest city in Washington

Cheney+Police+Department+station+located+on+G.+Street.+Cheney+ranked+as+the+11th+safest+city+in+the+state+of+Washington.+

Cheney Police Department station located on G. Street. Cheney ranked as the 11th safest city in the state of Washington.

Dylan Harris

Dylan Harris

Dylan Harris

By Kendall Koch, Reporter

Residents of Cheney classify it as a sleepy little town on the east side of Washington, home to a little more than 12,000 residents and students. As a whole the town is considered safe and the numbers show it to be.

Recently, the National Council for Home Safety and Security released rankings for the safest cities in the nation. Cheney was ranked the 11th safest city in Washington state out of 72 cities that qualified. According to NCHSS, Cheney only had 29 violent crimes and 215 property crimes in 2018.

John Hensley, the Cheney police chief, said that a key to successful crime prevention is communication.

“Cheney’s patrol officer and police volunteers spend a great deal of their discretionary patrol time talking to residents and merchants about how best to protect their property from both theft and vandalism,” said Hensley.

Safety and happiness go hand-in-hand when we compare the safest places to live.”

— Tom Jenkins, Cheney fire chief

Not only is communication important to the police department here, but also being visible in the community.

“Cheney police vehicles have very recognizable markings to provide a sense of comfort to the community and a warning to those that would consider illegal or rowdy behavior to go anywhere else,” said Hensley.

One of the Cheney Police Department’s vehicles. Cheney police patrol everything but the EWU Campus in Cheney.

Cheney not only has the city police, but it has EWU Police Department which patrols EWU’s campus.

“Community oriented police, which encompasses creating relationships, building trust and providing the highest level of service to keep our residents safe,” said Sergeant Hill of EWU Police. “Each officer is assigned to a resident hall and buildings on campus as a contract. This program is designed to keep communication open between the police, faculty, staff and students.”

The city of Spokane ranked 71st, second-to-last in the state, ahead of only University Place. Spokane had 1,360 violent crimes and 15,697 property crimes in 2018.

Spokane also ranked as the third least safe city in the entire nation, likely due to its high property crime rate.

Carter Rowe, an EWU sophomore and a resident of Cheney, said that the city he grew up in was always safe.

“Most of Cheney is safe enough to walk around without worrying too much on what’s going on around you,” Rowe said. “My parents let me walk to and from school as a small kid, that freedom was awesome, and the fact that Cheney is still safe enough for that is awesome.”

According to Tom Jenkins, the Cheney fire chief, the fire department here in Cheney is ready and more than prepared for anything.

“Our Cheney firefighters are the only ones west of the city of Spokane who are ALS equipped and ready to provide the highest level of medical care available outside an emergency room,” Jenkins said in an email. “Safety and happiness go hand-in-hand when we compare the safest places to live.”