M.R. Piggy’s BBQ Cafe opens in Cheney

M.R. Piggy’s BBQ Cafe opens in Cheney

M.R. Piggy's parking sign gives patrons an idea of their dining options, though the restaurant offers more than swine-centered service. M.R. Piggy's also offers chicken, pastries, and gluten-free options to appeal to a wider range of visitors.

Mckenzie Ford

Mckenzie Ford

Mckenzie Ford

By Kaisa Siipola, Reporter

As local favorite Rokkos Teriyaki & BBQ closes its doors, a new restaurant rises up to give Cheney residents the barbecue goodness they crave.  

M.R. Piggy’s BBQ Cafe, which made its debut on Jan. 8, is located on 809 1st. St. in Cheney and offers smoked barbecue dishes.

Originally, owners Mitchell Zand and Roger Droivold wanted to open a sandwich cart but after finding an advertisement on Craigslist for the Cheney Brewing Co. on 809 1st. St. they made bigger plans.

Seeing Cheney expand gave Zand and Droivold confidence in their business.

“With Amazon, the air force base and the airport expanding, that gave us hope for the future of Cheney,” Zand said.

Zand drew inspiration from his family when crafting the menu for M.R. Piggy’s.  

Zand’s father smokes meats, his mother developed a rub and wine-based smoke marinade, and his brother owns eight barbecue restaurants called “Adam’s Rib” in Western Oregon according to Zand.

M.R. Piggy’s menu focuses on lunch and dinner due to the lack of business for breakfast. M.R. Piggy’s offers homemade pastries, pies and  gluten-free options, like their barbecue pork and chicken sandwich with a gluten-free bun.

Mckenzie Ford
M.R. Piggy’s offers chicken and other dishes in addition to its pork servings.

Zand and Droivold intend to add Friday specials down the road like a brisket or burnt ends. The pair want to add a breakfast menu for weekends and are looking into joining Eagle Flex at EWU.

The vintage photos decorating M.R. Piggy’s main dining adds to the appeal of the restaurant. Zand says people will stop in to scan the photos for their relatives.

M.R. Piggy’s BBQ Cafe is open Wednesday and Thursday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. It offers a 10 percent discount to students, seniors and those in the military.

To learn more about M.R. Piggy’s BBQ Cafe you can visit their Facebook page or their website www.mrpiggysbbqcafe.com.•