ASEWU has big plans for 2019

Here are the goals EWU's student government members have set for themselves

ASEWU has big plans for 2019

2018-2019 ASEWU members and advisers posing for a group photo. The ASEWU has an executive branch, a council and a superior court.

Courtesy of the ASEWU website.

Courtesy of the ASEWU website.

Courtesy of the ASEWU website.

By Kaisa Siipola, Reporter

ASEWU is working toward goals and objectives for the rest of the school year. One of its main priorities is to make EWU tobacco-free.

ASEWU has been working on creating a tobacco-free campus for a few years now, but the proposal has been submitted a few times and the university is testing a tobacco-free zone in the campus mall first.

“The university has decided to make the campus mall smoke-free and may possibly expand it to the whole campus,” Jenniges said. “Our idea was to mirror the policy at the Riverpoint campus.”

ASEWU is divided into three branches, the executive, council and superior court. It wants to enhance its communication within itself and with students, and its leaders hope to ensure that what they’re doing is known on campus, according to ASEWU Executive Vice President Ashley Jenniges.

Executive

The executive branch represents the students and works to comply with and enforce all approved council legislation and superior court decisions.

Jenniges has been working on establishing an exemption form for the PUB that includes all the new policies for student organizations and departments.

The form would allow these groups to request special consideration for posting and promoting flyers within the PUB.

An art committee is being developed by Jenniges for students and faculty to showcase their artwork and make the PUB more welcoming.

Jenniges has been collaborating with a few ASEWU members to consolidate some committees instead of having separate advisory committees. An example would be combining the food service committee and the student health advisory committee.

The university has decided to make the campus mall smoke-free and may possibly expand it to the whole campus,”

— Ashley Jenniges, ASEWU Executive Vice President

The Council

The ASEWU council members respond to students’ questions and concerns, and implement ideas and legislation to inform and promote opportunities for student expression.

ASEWU Diversity Outreach Council Rep. Josiah Martinez hosted a Unity Day event on Nov. 8 at the campus mall for students of underrepresented groups to be heard.

Martinez intends to host another Unity Day in the PUB or JFK Library the first week of March, and expand from the last Unity Day by bringing in more student groups and possibly some performances. Martinez is also planning a Flags for the Fallen event from Feb. 23-24 with a dodgeball tournament that is currently being developed.

Martinez will continue to reach out to departments and organizations such as the Women’s and Gender Education Center, communications studies, Africana Studies program, American Indian Studies program, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, the Multicultural Center and the Pride Center to check if they have any questions, concerns or upcoming events that they would like to promote.

ASEWU Academic Affairs Rep. Sarahi Gutierrez has collaborated with Victor Rodriguez, EWU’s manager for New Student Transitions and Parent Programs, on the winter and spring resource fairs for incoming students that arrive at EWU during the year. The spring resource fair will be at EWU on April 9 and at EWU Spokane on April 10.

Gutierrez is working with the new adviser on the EWU Spokane campus to create a trivia night to include both EWU quarter and semester students. She is also planning a workshop to show students how to use Handshake, EagleNET, LinkedIn and quarterly leadership training with SAIL and ASEWU.  

Furthermore, Gutierrez intends to create another type of platform for students to express their feedback on campus or to reach out to clubs and organizations.

ASEWU Legislative Affairs representative Angelica Gracias-Macias provided students with a survey at her “I care about…” event, which intended to learn about and better represent the student body on legislative issues that EWU can possibly advocate for. Her primary focus was getting students to register to vote since there was a midterm election at the beginning of the quarter.

Gracias-Macias is recruiting and encouraging students to attend Lobby Day to advocate for the issues that were provided on the survey. Lobby Day is on Feb. 15, but it’s a three-day event from Feb. 14-16. A training session will be on Feb. 7 in snyamncut lounge for students to learn how to talk to legislators.

Overall, Gracias-Macias wants to get students engaged in political issues and help them understand the political climate by opening up discussion and getting students to talk to legislators.

“I am trying to represent all walks of life and make change happen,” Gracias-Macias said.

The Superior Court

The ASEWU Superior Court examines and enforces bylaws and constitutional amendments for the ASEWU Council, along with supporting student organizations with bylaw structure and parliamentary procedure.

ASEWU Superior Court Clerk Taylor Coffell said the court’s goals and objectives for the remainder of the year are to make its presence known to the students, increase voter registration, hold a Title IX presentation on April 18 and conduct a Law Day event on May 1.

“We did this by having Coffee with the Court in the library as well as collaborating with the legislative affairs council member for a voter registration party in November,” Coffell said.

ASEWU superior court will be holding a Tenant’s Rights event which includes the EWU Police Department, Tenant’s Rights Union members, Spokane County Bar Association members and students with negative experiences with landlords.

Anyone who has any questions or is interested in getting involved with ASEWU can visit the ASEWU website or PUB 207 for more information.

About the Writer